The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 02:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Rules Study Guides

I'm thinking about working basketball next season and would like to get started on studying the rules. Are there any rules study guides similar to the Redding Guide we have in football or JR in baseball?

Also, how complex are the NFHS basketball rules compared to football and baseball?

Thanks!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

For about $6 you can order the Rule and Case book from the NFHS.

10 Rules, they aren't that hard....It's the sub-sections of the rules that are what get ya!

Don't know about FB and Bb...I don't officiate those....Complexity is all in your understanding of the rule. There are somethings I am really clear on and others that I don't have great clarity on cause I have not faced those situations...
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

The best way to learn basketball rules is to actually work games. I would suggest that you invest in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook and the Athletic Rules Study program (which for some reason I cannot get the web site to come up). Basketball is a sport where you have a lot of options or judgment involved more so than the other two sports you mentioned. What makes a good basketball official is how they call the game. The rules often almost never come into play as much as you might read here. Your job really comes down to calling basic fouls and basic violations. And even when you watch a game officiated by others, people tend to disagree if certain rules should be applied or should not be applied.

I would suggest you study the rules in preparation for the test because in most cases you have to say. Start with the definitions section and read a lot of plays in the casebook. But reading the rules over and over again is not going to help you when you have to call a tough block/charge consistently if you are not in the right position or you have not been on the court your knowledge of the rules alone will not save you. In football and baseball, the rules have a progression where one thing cannot be decided without another event in most cases. In those sports you have less wiggle room to make judgment.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks Colt and Rut.

I'll pick up the rule and case books and then just keep reading this forum. I will also contact the association I'm planning on joining for recommendations on mechanics study.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Also, how complex are the NFHS basketball rules compared to football and baseball?
The rules are much simpler than baseball's.