The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just looking for how you personally study the rules. I like to study them but lets be honest they aren't a Clancy novel.(my favorite).

What do you do to keep up your interest level???
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I look through old exams, and then try to find the rule refrence. I also go over odd-ball plays i encounter and see if i can find a rule to back up my ruling.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

The booklet 101 Tips For Better Officiating, by Referee Mag. concludes with Chap. 10 titled: How to Master Any Sport's Rulebook.

It lists 10 tips: 1) Speed-read entire book. 2) Categorize the rules. 3) Chapter breakdown. 4) Create a quiz. 5) Have several copies of the same rulebook. 6) Read in short increments of time. 7) Review the book each day. 8) Study just before falling asleep. 9) Check related casebook plays. 10) Talk with rules experts. Of course they went into a bit of detail on each one of these topics. I found most of them very helpful.

You can order that booklet along with some other pretty good stuff from NASO at their website, http://www.naso.org.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

I go back over previous exams and I bought the ARS rules CD that is advertised in the rule book. You can use the CD to tailor it to whatever area you want to review, i.e., dead ball, fouls, equipment, etc. Seems to work pretty good.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
I'm just looking for how you personally study the rules. I like to study them but lets be honest they aren't a Clancy novel.(my favorite).

What do you do to keep up your interest level???
Look up the specific reference for every play described on this (and other) discussion boards.

While you're looking for it, you'll find something else that you didn't know, and after you've typed something like "The BC violation is described in 9-9 and ...." about 100 times, you'll have the book pretty well memorized.