The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

All Time Low

I had a girls JV/V double header. JV game 58-1. Varsity 67-12. WOW
It was 50-7 @ half time. They ran a slow down Offense (5 passes before they were allowed to attempt a shot) the 3rd Quarter and a stall Offense the 4th.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

BJV last night. With 4:00 left in the 2nd Q, score was tied at 5 all, and had been since about 4:00 left in the 1st Q. Both teams finally kicked it up a notch and we finished the half at 9-10. Game very nearly went into OT tied at 24 all, but with 1.4 left on the clock V player tries a three and gets fouled. Makes one of the three free throws.

Had a GJV earlier in the month where nobody scored until 10 seconds left in the first quarter.

Been kind of a funky year for stuff like that.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

b-r-u-t-a-l
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Had a GJV earlier in the month where nobody scored until 10 seconds left in the first quarter.
Hey, I had one too! Both teams scored in the last few seconds, so the quarter ended 2-2. Woohoo!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Part way into the 2nd Quarter. A Player from Team A enters the court with the wrong number. Side bar... did I mention I was the only official for the JV game? So I assess a Technical foul. Player from team B misses the 1st free throw. 2nd throw bounces around before it goes in. Team A could have pitched a shutout if the Technical free throw was missed.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
I had a girls JV/V double header. JV game 58-1. Varsity 67-12. WOW
It was 50-7 @ half time. They ran a slow down Offense (5 passes before they were allowed to attempt a shot) the 3rd Quarter and a stall Offense the 4th.
I feel for you. I hate those blowouts. Heres what I do to make it interesting for me:
I become as precise as possible with my mechanics...no rush, no excitement, so I might as well polish my routine.
I make up nicknames for every player and tell myself jokes (silently)...there not usually very good so I don't burst out laughing in the middle of a play like some nut job...usually.
I do jersey number memorization.
I scrutinize the crowd for funny looking people.
and most importantly...I try and get out of there like a teacher on a Friday afternoon (or any afternoon!)
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 12:34pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I had a Boys 8th grade game the other night where one team didn't score for an entire quarter +. At a few stages they were overly passing like they weren't even trying to score and no one wanted to be "embarrassed" by taking and probably missing a bad shot. Brutal is right!
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had a girls JV game a couple years ago where the visiting team did not attempt a shot until there was less than 2 minutes to go in the second quarter (they were losing by something like 19-0). They didn't hit the rim with a shot until less than a minute in the half. They scored 2 points in the first half. Second half they were better (maybe they scored 10-12 points).

I wasn't aware of their non-shooting, but my partner was bored so he kept track and informed me at halftime.

Their coach just stood at the end of the bench and made some gestures towards her players, but probably only said ten words to them the entire night.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have 2 games. In a girl's soph. game, the FIRST basket on the game was scored at the 5:38 mark of the 2nd quarter. In a girl's varsity contest (involving one of the 2 prior schools), a team entered the 4th quarter without a basket and just 2 free throws.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

I got ya all beat.

Many years ago girls JV, home team has nobody that can dribble against man pressure, I'm not talking a press, I'm talking man-to-man. We averaged about 10 seconds of running clock, loose ball, scrum on the floor, held ball.

We had 63 arrow switches.

Home team got the ball in their FC twice in the first half.

Their only shot was an NBA range 3 point shot after the horn and yes, you guessed it, I wave it off and it went in.

It ended up something like 45-3.

Had a holiday tournament game in a small school tournament and a usual power was matched up against a brand new school. To make matters worse due to a scheduling error I'm working alone. It was 55-0 with 2 minutes left. The girls that played the game before this were yelling advice and encouragement. I managed to get them on the foul line several times down the stretch and even though they never hit a shot from the field they did hit 3 FTs to make it 61-3.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 07:08pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
I had a girls JV game a couple years ago where the visiting team did not attempt a shot until there was less than 2 minutes to go in the second quarter (they were losing by something like 19-0). They didn't hit the rim with a shot until less than a minute in the half. They scored 2 points in the first half. Second half they were better (maybe they scored 10-12 points).

I wasn't aware of their non-shooting, but my partner was bored so he kept track and informed me at halftime.

Their coach just stood at the end of the bench and made some gestures towards her players, but probably only said ten words to them the entire night.
"Shoot" was not one of the words, I am guessing.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Freshman boys game home team's winning 15-14 at half. Final score 44 - 17 visitors. 16-0 3rd quarter and a 14-2 4th. Never seen anything like it.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
b-r-u-t-a-l
NOPE . . . brutal was the Fresman Boys game I was coaching many years ago when we go beat 80-18!! Score was 13-12 in OUR favor at the end of the 1st quarter!!! Dang refs! ha ha Oh, did I mention RUNNING CLOCK for the entire second half and 6 minute quarters!! OH, and we didn't even stop the clock in the 4th!! Seriously, it was THAT bad!! Let's just say I was not the proud coach that day . . .
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Boys V last year

I was announcing the game on radio. Home team was up against league leader. Home team won the tip, visitors went into 2-1-2 zone, home team point guard held the ball near half court, no dribble, no pass, no shot. The visiting coach instructed his players to remain in their zone. FINALLY, the D came out with under 2 minutes to go in first quarter. Over six minutes of a stare down with no one moving one inch. The crowd getting real anxious. It was not the most fun first quarter to announce, either. Visitors ended up winning by more than 20.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 05:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
I was announcing the game on radio. Home team was up against league leader. Home team won the tip, visitors went into 2-1-2 zone, home team point guard held the ball near half court, no dribble, no pass, no shot. The visiting coach instructed his players to remain in their zone. FINALLY, the D came out with under 2 minutes to go in first quarter. Over six minutes of a stare down with no one moving one inch. The crowd getting real anxious. It was not the most fun first quarter to announce, either. Visitors ended up winning by more than 20.
Yeah, but you got all your sponsorship ads read early.