The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Did I mess this one up?

Boys JV game tonight. Team A makes a jump shot. B1 catches the ball out of the net, does not move so he's right under the basket in bounds. Looks kind of confused, then after 1 or 2 seconds, passes the ball to B2 who starts dribbling really fast up the court. B2 gets a few steps past the 28 foot line (still in the BC) and I hit the whistle, signal a violation and point toward team A's direction. B's bench loses their mind and says it's not a violation. Thoughts?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Violation it is...

That is a violation as team B never inbounds the ball. When the ball was available for them to throw in, they had 5 seconds to do so. B violation, A's ball....
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree...

1)I definitely hit the whistle before 5 seconds elapsed so i couldn't use that

2) By that logic, say B2 who now has the ball gets fouled. Pretty bad to penalize team A for fouling someone when the ball wasn't even live and technically there was no team control. Just doesn't make sense to me
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

See case play 9.2.2C. It says nothing about waiting 5 seconds. This is a violation as soon as it's apparent that the new team A is advancing the ball up the court without having done a proper throwin.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

This is not a violation. Hit the whistle, kill the play, and give the ball back to Team B. The ball was never inbounded, the only thing you could do at all is give them a delay of game warning, but that's not even a good idea. The only way it would be a violation would be if it was a 5 second violation, which he has to step behind the line with ball in hand to do which he did not, or a boundary line infraction in which he steps behind the line with ball in hand and then steps over, I didn't say on the line, but over the line while ball is still in hand.

Man I remember the days when I used to get so screwed up with things like these. It's smart of you to ask about these small minute details JS 20, cause as you move up in every level, the small minute details make a big difference. For Example, my boss is going to chew my butt when he sees my crews tape and sees that we had a violation happen in the backcourt and we gave the team the ball in the frontcourt. That is a big difference in our game and my boss will call me out on it. See what I mean. Minute, but a difference maker.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Read the case play. It's a violation.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:21am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
This is not a violation. Hit the whistle, kill the play, and give the ball back to Team B.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
This is not a violation.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:40am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
This is not a violation.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
This is not a violation. Hit the whistle, kill the play, and give the ball back to Team B.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

[quote=btaylor64]This is not a violation.

Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not a violation. Hit the whistle, kill the play, and give the ball back to Team B. The ball was never inbounded, the only thing you could do at all is give them a delay of game warning, but that's not even a good idea.
WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG !!!!!!!

You couldn't be more WRONG if you tried.

The rule was edited and the case play added specifically because of discussions we had on this forum several years ago.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
I disagree...

1)I definitely hit the whistle before 5 seconds elapsed so i couldn't use that
5 seconds has nothing to do with it. Once it's determined that Team B is not going to properly inbound the ball, you whistle the violation.

Quote:
2) By that logic, say B2 who now has the ball gets fouled. Pretty bad to penalize team A for fouling someone when the ball wasn't even live and technically there was no team control. Just doesn't make sense to me
It makes no difference whether it makes any sense to you or not. The current 3 man mechanics on not switching for a foul in the BC makes no sense to me but I still follow them. Read the case book play and call it properly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

So this is a violation according to NFHS? WOW! That is unbelieveable! Kid never steps out of bounds to attempt the throw-in (he might just have a brain fart since he is young) and it's a violation? That is horrible!!! If I have that happen in any of my high school games I will take full responsibility for the play. They can fine me, sue me, take my game check, whatever. That is not what is right for the game. Common sense should prevail here.

I'm sorry that I missed that according to rule and don't want young guys on here not knowing the rules, but there are some times that you need to step up and gain a Crew Chief mentality and ask yourself, "Is it right for the game", because the integrity of the game is what you are trying to protect. Are you protecting it by a kid making a silly mistake by not stepping out of bounds for a throw-in when he hasn't even legally stepped out of bounds to be awarded the chance to make a throw-in? I'm sorry but this makes no sense to me.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:44am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So this is a violation according to NFHS? WOW! That is unbelieveable! Kid never steps out of bounds to attempt the throw-in (he might just have a brain fart since he is young) and it's a violation? That is horrible!!! If I have that happen in any of my high school games I will take full responsibility for the play. They can fine me, sue me, take my game check, whatever. That is not what is right for the game. Common sense should prevail here.
So you're saying that anything that happens just because of a "brain fart" should not be penalized?

Lonesome Dove