The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Handchecking?

Got into an interesting rules discussion with my assigner recently. He doesn't call handchecks. Not because he doesn't think it's a foul, but because handchecking doesn't exist in the rule book.

Now you know I don't get too tightly wound about terminology, but it turns out he's right. I can't find the word anywhere. But we've got a signal for it. I don't think there's much disagreement about what handchecking is. But there's no rule that defines it.

Weird.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Got into an interesting rules discussion with my assigner recently. He doesn't call handchecks. Not because he doesn't think it's a foul, but because handchecking doesn't exist in the rule book.

Now you know I don't get too tightly wound about terminology, but it turns out he's right. I can't find the word anywhere. But we've got a signal for it. I don't think there's much disagreement about what handchecking is. But there's no rule that defines it.

Weird.
So when someone commits the act that some people call handchecking, does he call pushing? or illegal use of hands? Or does he just not call anything because "The NFHS hasn't given us a neat and tidy little definition?"
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Weird.
what does he call instead?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting....

I love this call...It's absolutely my favorite call to make....I know it pisses off players who THINK they are playing some LOCKDOWN D.....Stupid defenders want to slow the dribbler with a hand on hip and drive them here or there....Not on my court baby!

The best part is the kid who picks up his first foul of the game on one of those...I'll instruct him to keep his hands off the defender...he'll acknowledge me...next trip down...TWEET...same thing as the first....and then by halftime he's got 3 fouls for the same dumb thing...Now the coach is getting in the kid's ear "You see the ref is not letting you handcheck, why do you do it!? "
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Weird.
Paralysis by analysis.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

He won't just pass on it. He'll call a hold or a push, depending on what the defender actually does.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
He won't just pass on it. He'll call a hold or a push, depending on what the defender actually does.
Your assignor is an anal idiot. If that's his contribution to officiating knowledge, buy some earplugs to use when you're talking to him. What he's contributing is confusion.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I'll just politely agree to disagree.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

You and your assignor may want to re-read 10-6-2 and 10-6-3.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 05:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
You and your assignor may want to re-read 10-6-2 and 10-6-3.
That's logical.

Unfortunately the word "handcheck" does not appear in those articles. And past POE's using the term "handcheck" don't count because they're ....well...past POE's and aren't in the current rulebook.Therefore, "handchecks" do not exist. Of course, that means that Signal #30 denotes nothing, but that's OK too.

Logic does not exist in this particular assignor's little world either.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 06:13pm
Administrator

Oh good gravey! Before we had the dang signal for handchecking, I just used the pushing signal and still do about 97% of the time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmm....gravy.......
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 06:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hand Checking

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Remember RSBQ. If the dribbler’s Rythym, Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected,
we should have a hand-checking foul.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 07:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Two hands on the ball-handler is a foul. Automatic.
One hand that stays on the dribbler is a foul.
Remember RSBQ. If the dribbler’s Rythym, Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected,
we should have a hand-checking foul.
Now maybe that is a Women's college philosophy, but two hands on a ball carrier is not supported by anything I have ever seen on the HS or Men's college ranks. And if you always have a foul for two hands on a ball carrier, then calling the game in the post is going to bring a foul every single time. I would rather call a foul if someone is prevented from movement or directed by hands and arms. I would not call anything automatically unless it puts someone at a disadvantage or advantage for the defender.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 08:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Now maybe that is a Women's college philosophy, but two hands on a ball carrier is not supported by anything I have ever seen on the HS or Men's college ranks.
POE #2A4 in the 2003-04 NFHS rulebook states verbatim--"When an opponent places both hands on an opposing player, it is a foul." Couldn't be any plainer than that. Iirc, it was in other years also. We train our officials to call an immediate foul if a defender puts two hands on a dribbler.