The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
7. Refs are allowed to reply to a coaches comment of, "you suck!" with, "No, you suck!"
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Use the AP arrow to begin all overtime periods rather than using a jump ball.

Justification: The AP arrow has already been established. If multiple overtime periods are necessary, a clear advantage is given to the team who is able to execute this play (via height or quickness). The AP arrow is used to start each quarter, why not each overtime period?

6-1-1 The game shall be started by a jump ball in the center restraining circle ... (removed "and each extra period")

remove "or extra period" from Note area of 6-1-2

6-2-1 The game begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw. (removed "and each extra period")

6-2-2 To start the game the ball shall be put in play in the center restraining cirlcle by a jump ball between any two opponents. (removed "and each extra period")

6-2-3 To start the second, third and fourth quarters and each extra period, the ball shall be put in play by a throw-in under the alternating-possession procedure.

6-4-1 In all jump-ball situations, other than the start of the game, the teams will alternate taking the ball out of bounds for a throw-in ... (removed "and each extra period")

6-4-2 To start the second, third and fourth quarters and each extra period, the throw-in shall be from out of bounds at the division line opposite the scorer's and timer's table.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. Instead of coaches getting the seatbelt for a T, they should have their feet shackled together. Sideline privileges are retained.
2. After 5 personal fouls, players may remain in the game but must wear their underwear outside their uniforms.
3. All assistant coaches, regardless of number, must hold hands on the bench. When one stands, they all must stand. When he/she sits, they all must sit.
4. All players must wear wrestling singlets so we don't have to remind them to tuck in anything.
5. On free throws, just let all non shooters start in the lane and allow full contact.
6. Refs are allowed to flip off any fans that mouth off.
7. Refs are allowed to reply to a coaches comment of, "you suck!" with, "No, you suck!"

These are just a few that I'd personally like to see.
Rule 2-3 is the only "rule". All the other current rules are reworded as to be only "suggestions."
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, you sweet talker, you.
LOL. My first almost spit my coffee out moment of the day.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Rule 2-3 is the only "rule". All the other current rules are reworded as to be only "suggestions."
Like the trafic 'laws' in Massachusetts?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Like the traffic 'laws' in Massachusetts?
Word.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
The "if its not broke" mentality would lead us back to the days of no three point shot and no team control fouls. We would only have 2 potential last second shots and with each team being given a timeout to use at their discretion, they can take it when it benefits them, and not on a specific schedule. Plus, the game flows better. We use 16 minutes halves in most summer leagues and camps around here, so I speak from some experience.
Those were improvements that changed the actual game....not sure how quarters vs. halves really make that much difference....NCAA vs. NBA....both are happy with what they have and neither has (as far as I know) considered switching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

I've officiated under both systems (in high school), and I like the former system MUCH better. I never had any problem with releases and it is much easier for the lead official in particular to call. Its easier for both the trail and lead (or C and lead) to enforce the release as its all at eye level. Can you really tell me that you are good enough to see both the rim and the players from a reasonable distance? I'm not and I've been doing this a long time. Plus, I have EXTRAORDINARY ranges of vision -- both top to bottom and peripheral. A lot of that is from past training and I'm quite sure it isn't unique to me by any stretch. I add it only for reference.

You talk about not being broke. The former lane restrictions weren't broke. I was amazed when they changed the rule. I can't remember ever getting more than a quick comment from a coach about a possible lane violation. Now I hear such protests a dozen times a year, at minimum. As far as shoving, are you seriously suggesting there's little or no contact NOW? It just comes at a different time. Plus, that's why we have the rules on fouls and in my view, these are fairly easy calls to make.
You spend MOST of you effort talking about the lessor reason it was changed. The primary reason is the contact that little to no one ever called. The post release to rebound interval was becoming a free-for-all pushing session. Sure it could have been cleaned up by calling fouls and the NFHS tried to get that point across with POE's....but officials didn't responsd....it didn't work. Freezing the players until it hits did dramatically clean up the contact. There is still some but they just don't have the time to ride their opponent as far away from (or under) the basket as possible. Also remember that the NFHS had already been on the wait-til-it-hits rule before the release rule...so they had actual data to compare the two.....it was no experiment.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the contact that little to no one ever called
Even assuming I bought your assertion that this was a problem (I never thought it was a problem, plus I DID respond to this issue in my post -- read it more carefully), you don't solve one problem by creating a new rule that has little to do with that problem. You ask, as they have done for years on things like intentional fouls, the officials to call the fouls that occur.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3. All assistant coaches, regardless of number, must hold hands on the bench. When one stands, they all must stand. When he/she sits, they all must sit.
This would be great for any team with 3+ assistants. The first time they stand, the HC is gone.