The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Late Whistle

I have heard many different opinions on this, but had it come up twice tonight in a tournament game.

How do you all feel about the late whistle, looking to the vets on this board to help me out with this. I had one in the boys game. I'm the trail, lead is straighlined, I see the contact on the arm but let the lead see if he had anything, shot goes up he has nothing, ball rims out I blow a foul knowing the ball is not going in the hole.

Coach ask what I have. I told the coach that I realize it was a late blow on my part but there was obvious contact that my partner missed and I was waiting to see if the ball went into the hole and it did not and reason being because of the contact. He said I guess if there was a foul you had to blow it.

I have had many college officials say that the late whistle is a great way to go about it. What are some other opinions?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
GO with the late whistle at any level you are working, especially at the college level. These guys can play through a lot. See the Play START, DEVELOP, FINISH. Coming in late is always good especially when its coming from the secondary.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Exactly the case. I wasn't the primary and I felt the contact altered the shot. There has to be some people on here who don't feel it is good. Looking for some pro's and con's
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not against late whistles for various reasons. I prefer the term "patient whistle," though. Like a ball handler dribbling around a defender who slaps the arm. Or on a rebound, when A1 gets the ball and gets pushed slightly by B1. Sometimes it takes a second to see if there was a foul on the contact.

That said, I'd have to be 100% sure this was a foul and my partner was shielded from view before I'd make the call. Normally, I'd trust that my partner saw it better than I did, and must have had a reason to pass on it.

We had one of those today that my partner later said he could have helped me out on with a whistle. A hold I (as lead) was straight lined on and couldn't see, followed by A1 throwing the ball out of bounds. I called the OOB violation and we played on. P told me about it after the game.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Using FIBA and Tower principles down here.NO advantage/disadvantage EVER on a shooter but holding whistle to see whole play and reward player heading toward basket.We hare seeing a basket waved off because a whistle has gone to soon.
I would suggest in this scenario good help out to partner.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Using FIBA and Tower principles down here.NO advantage/disadvantage EVER on a shooter but holding whistle to see whole play and reward player heading toward basket.We hate seeing a basket waved off because a whistle has gone to soon.
I would suggest in this scenario good help out to partner.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial

Coach ask what I have. I told the coach that I realize it was a late blow on my part but there was obvious contact that my partner missed and I was waiting to see if the ball went into the hole and it did not and reason being because of the contact. He said I guess if there was a foul you had to blow it.
I really hope you did not tell the coach that your partner missed an obvious foul. Maybe he did, but I don't think we need to be telling this to a coach. You just called you partner's ability into question.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
I really hope you did not tell the coach that your partner missed an obvious foul. Maybe he did, but I don't think we need to be telling this to a coach. You just called you partner's ability into question.
That's exactly what I thought when I first read the OP. That's called "throwing your partner under the bus". Not a good idea.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 09:25am.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 09:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOofficial
How do you all feel about the late whistle, looking to the vets on this board to help me out with this. I had one in the boys game. I'm the trail, lead is straighlined, I see the contact on the arm but let the lead see if he had anything, shot goes up he has nothing, ball rims out I blow a foul knowing the ball is not going in the hole.

I have had many college officials say that the late whistle is a great way to go about it. What are some other opinions?
A "patient" whistle is not a "late" whistle, as Snaqs said.

Sometimes you just have to trust your partner if it's his call. And if it's his call, he should have the patient whistle, not you.

Btw, if you were both watching the shooter and defender, who was watching the other eight players?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

How do you all feel about the late whistle? I feel GREAT. BUT, let's call it a "patient whistle."

Coach ask what I have. "Coach, I had contact on the arm as she was shooting. (End of statement.) I told the coach that I realize it was a late blow on my part but there was obvious contact that my partner missed and I was waiting to see if the ball went into the hole and it did not and reason being because of the contact. NO, NO, NO!! I am not one to normally tell another official how to talk with a coach. I am merely and "advisor." However, it doesn't sound like the coach asked whether it was a late call, so don't address something that hasn't been asked. Also, the coach doesn't need to know that your partner missed a call . . . like JR said, he is now but a smear on the road . . . thank you Mr. Bus . . .
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
How do you all feel about the late whistle? I feel GREAT. BUT, let's call it a "patient whistle."

Coach ask what I have. "Coach, I had contact on the arm as she was shooting. (End of statement.) I told the coach that I realize it was a late blow on my part but there was obvious contact that my partner missed and I was waiting to see if the ball went into the hole and it did not and reason being because of the contact. NO, NO, NO!! I am not one to normally tell another official how to talk with a coach. I am merely and "advisor." However, it doesn't sound like the coach asked whether it was a late call, so don't address something that hasn't been asked. Also, the coach doesn't need to know that your partner missed a call . . . like JR said, he is now but a smear on the road . . . thank you Mr. Bus . . .
PERFECT!!!
Let's just say the coach commented on your "patient call" you respond with a polite "thank you".
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I honestly don't hear the "that was a late call" much these days. However, about 2 years ago, JVG game during a tournament . . . coach runs to the end of her bench and yells that my foul call on her girl was a late call. My response . . . "AND?! It was the right call coach." She huffed and went right back to her seat. Couple of coaches standing near the endline got a big kick out of it and later told me thank you for a great laugh. Just had to share.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 11:51am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sometimes you just have to trust your partner if it's his call. And if it's his call, he should have the patient whistle, not you.

Btw, if you were both watching the shooter and defender, who was watching the other eight players?
Jurassic, something tells me that I'm the only one that even paid attention to this part of your post. Your comments aren't popular here because many believe they must always help their (paid) partner who just so happens to be officiating on-ball. How ironic! Additionally, many officials are more concerned with making witty comments than good communication. Answer questions, not comments. Silence can't be quoted. In other words, if you don't know what to say, don't say anything.

After telling us you said, "I told the coach my partner missed..." everything else sounds like blah, blah, womp, womp.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I caught it, but then again, I agree with it. I've focussed hard over the last few years on not watching the ball, but being aware of what's going on with it. This year, it's finally starting to click.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Additionally, many officials are more concerned with making witty comments than good communication. Answer questions, not comments. Silence can't be quoted. In other words, if you don't know what to say, don't say anything.
Excellent advice imo for any official, no matter at which stage of their development they happen to be in.