The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

funny whistle sounds

I had one today. Some fans laughed at it and I also had too. I blew it loud enough but my lips were dry and it kind fell out a bit. made this really strange shriek sound. It will be difficult to recreate but I'm going to try
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
LOL!!! That happened to me the other day as well. I was using to FOX 40 with the CMG cushion and the coach wanted a timeout right about when his player was going to get trapped on the opposite end. I was holding the whistle tight enough in my mouth since I rarely use the cushion. So i blow the whistle and it makes a wierd shriek and fly's out of my mouth( luck for a laynard) like yours but some players heard it and luckly I was in front of the table when i did it since it was loud in there, and the operator heard it. So i put back in and my partner knew what happened and we both killed it. LOL!! First time that has ever happened to me!!! Made in rec game once. But at the high school or college level never..
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Was doing a book once on a V game, A1 gives throat slashing motion to B2. B Coach goes nuts wanting a T, Ref sees it as well, and TRIES to give the T. Only problem was the whistle was dangling, and he looked pretty silly giving the T without blowing the whistle (instead just blowing air!).

Pretty intense game, but I gave him a wink and a smile when he came over to report. Not sure anyone else had a clue.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have always thought it was better for dramatic effect if the official had to put the whistle back in his mouth to call a T. My partner was talking with a coach during a dead ball the other night and coach earned a T. He sticks the whistle in his mouth and blasts it right in the coaches face. At the half he says, I hope I made his ears bleed. I ask him what the coach said. He told me he said, "you guys suck". I wanted to go blow my whistle as loud as I could right in his face too.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Mine made a funny sound today, too. But it's because I was laughing. Shot after shot going up in the paint, and all missed. On the third rebound, some fan behind me screams (clear as bell, as the crowd was relatively small) "Three seconds." I'm T, and couldn't help but laugh. I heard others in the crowd laugh right after I did, probably responding to my response?
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
I have always thought it was better for dramatic effect if the official had to put the whistle back in his mouth to call a T. My partner was talking with a coach during a dead ball the other night and coach earned a T. He sticks the whistle in his mouth and blasts it right in the coaches face. At the half he says, I hope I made his ears bleed. I ask him what the coach said. He told me he said, "you guys suck". I wanted to go blow my whistle as loud as I could right in his face too.
I don't think this is necessary, and really opens you up to legitimate criticism. Call the T without malice.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 08:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't think this is necessary, and really opens you up to legitimate criticism. Call the T without malice.
Malice can be fun sometime.

Having said that, I agree with Snaqs. Poker-face, emotionless and don't give 'em any reason to write you up(not that they won't anyway).

And yes, for the few people that know me, that was a "do as I say, not as I do" statement.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 08:27am.