The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

In the case of delay of games, if I am not mistaken there are three types of delay of games, with which you give a recorded warning and then a tech. I had a coach tell me that he was told from another official(sounds a little like Van Gundy doesn't it) that the three different kinds of delays are warned seperately and penalized seperately. The guy I was working with agreed with the coach so I did not try to argue 2 against one, but I thought it was one warning per team per game for any type of delay. The next one no matter which type of delay it would be penalized.

What do you guys think or know. Can I have rule reference or otherwise. We were talking NFHS by the way.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Each delay carries their own penalty. Each are handled differently in the rulebook.

Rule 10-1-5

Peace
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Appreciate it JRut. Good to learn new things.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Appreciate it JRut. Good to learn new things.
WARNING: This post contains a shamelessly self-aggrandizing advertisement for material not suitable for the average reader. Please do not allow unaccompanied minors near your screen while you peruse the remainder of this post.

There is a series of very good, informative, balanced and in-depth articles on the 'Zine side of this site that gives a number of different aspects of the three official delay of game warnings, and
also advice about how to handle other types of delays. It's actually much better writing than this post, too.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
In the case of delay of games, if I am not mistaken there are three types of delay of games, with which you give a recorded warning and then a tech. I had a coach tell me that he was told from another official(sounds a little like Van Gundy doesn't it) that the three different kinds of delays are warned seperately and penalized seperately. The guy I was working with agreed with the coach so I did not try to argue 2 against one, but I thought it was one warning per team per game for any type of delay. The next one no matter which type of delay it would be penalized.

What do you guys think or know. Can I have rule reference or otherwise. We were talking NFHS by the way.
Many people have the same misunderstanding as you. This is one of the items that I would like to see the NFHS rewrite so that it is very clear that each team can receive THREE warnings in a game without a technical foul having to be called.

Currently, one must sift through the Rules book and Case book in order to find the language that supports the proper interpretation.

Here are the exact words that you need to see:
10-1-5 c+d
c. Contact with the free thrower or a huddle of two or more players by either team prior to a free throw following the team warning for this delay.

d. Interfering with the ball following a goal after the team warning for this delay.

10-1-10
. . . Following the team warning for delay in 9-2-11, commit a violation of the throw-in boundary-line plane.

10.1.5 Situation D: Immediately following a goal by A1, A3 slaps the ball away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. RULING: The official shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team warning for this specific delay. The warning shall then be reported to the head coach of Team A. Any subsequent similar delay by Team A shall result in a technical foul charged to Team A.

Simplified and Illustrated page 72 10-1-5c
The official is ready to administer the second free throw, but two Team A players are huddling in the lane. In (2), the official properly instructs the scorer to record a team warning for delay. The warning is then announced to the coach. If Team A delays administration of a free throw again during the game, it will result in a technical foul. The same procedure is used if contact with the free thrower delays the administration.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref,

Are you officiating at the AAU Memorial Day Invitational tournament in Reno, on May 28 to April 1?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

That depends upon which tournament you mean. There are two AAU events in Reno over Memorial Day Weekend.
One of them will be played at the various HS gyms in the city and is organized by a guy from Seattle. The other will be played at the convention center and the AAU contact is local.

The vast majority of the top officials from here are boycotting the one at the convention center because of the organizer.

I will be working the Seattle guy's tournament.

[Edited by Nevadaref on May 18th, 2005 at 04:41 AM]
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Nevadaref,

Are you officiating at the AAU Memorial Day Invitational tournament in Reno, on May 28 to April 1?
That's one helluva a tournament!! A 10 month tourney!!!

BTW, I would delete the individual's name that you posted above if I were you.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by johnny1784
Nevadaref,

That's one helluva a tournament!! A 10 month tourney!!!

BTW, I would delete the individual's name that you posted above if I were you.
You were referring to my recent post, right? I did and deleted the reply. Thanks.

The tournament is scheduled for May 28- May 30.

[Edited by johnny1784 on May 18th, 2005 at 03:45 PM]