The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Whaddya got?

You hodl the captains conference at center court, about 3 minutes before tipoff. at, you go with your partners to meet the visiting coach. As you finish up with him and head to the home bench for introductions, the head coach turns and leaves the gym. This is a coach with a history of problems. Already had multiple Ts assessed against him this year, and been ejected once.

What, if anything, would you do?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
You hodl the captains conference at center court, about 3 minutes before tipoff. at, you go with your partners to meet the visiting coach. As you finish up with him and head to the home bench for introductions, the head coach turns and leaves the gym. This is a coach with a history of problems. Already had multiple Ts assessed against him this year, and been ejected once.

If it's required to meet with him, then wait until he comes back and then meet with him. Delay the game, if needed. Write the state.

If it's not required to meet with him, ignore it.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Prepare myself for a long, painful experience.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If it's required to meet with him, then wait until he comes back and then meet with him. Delay the game, if needed. Write the state.

If it's not required to meet with him, ignore it.
You can't ignore him if you got one in your pocket for him. If you do then chase him down and kindly ask him to stay, the game just won't be the same without him there.

Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 05:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
You hodl the captains conference at center court
Does that mean you give them each one of these?

Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

The coach waived his right to a meeting then.

No tolerance for coaching box, bench decorum with this clown.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 08:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

I agree with Bob. If you're required to meet him, then do it. Otherwise, ignore him. He's just trying to play mind games with you. Showing his "dominance" by getting you to wait around for him.

That goes in the same category as the stare down. Psychological warfare with a mental midget.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Maybe he really had to GO!
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

The crew went over and exchanged pleasantries with the assistant, and life went on. Ater thinking about it some more, one of them said that if he had it to do over again, he would have whacked him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Thoughts on that?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The crew went over and exchanged pleasantries with the assistant, and life went on. Ater thinking about it some more, one of them said that if he had it to do over again, he would have whacked him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Thoughts on that?

If it wasn't a required meeting then I think this would be a s-t-r-e-t-c-h and you would be setting yourself up for an even more unpleasant night...
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 03:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
The crew went over and exchanged pleasantries with the assistant, and life went on.
Just curious, how did the rest of the night go? Any issues?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

If memory serves, and I'm going to check on this, in my area if a coach does not attend the pregame meeting, they cannot use the coaching box or request a time out. Basically they are treated as an assistant. I think they talked about his at one of our meetings recently.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
If memory serves, and I'm going to check on this, in my area if a coach does not attend the pregame meeting, they cannot use the coaching box or request a time out. Basically they are treated as an assistant. I think they talked about his at one of our meetings recently.
I like this!! So then does it work in reverse as well, does the assistant who attends the pregame meeting get the box or does nobody? NF only states that you must verify with the head coach that his team is properly equipped, but doesn't say that you must do that during the pregame meeting....honestly I am not sure what the "policy" is on this in our state, JRut must know this...I have never run into this issue though, never known a coach to WANT to alienate officials before the game even starts...
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:17pm
Administrator

Personally, I do not want the coaches that the captains' meeting. From a historical stand point, captains not coaches the the team leaders. And there are coaches out there that are not going to like hearing me tell his/her captain that:

1) He/she is in charge of the team from the head coach down to the last priest, rabbi, nun, witch doctor, orthopedic surgeon, and anybody else that is considered bench personnel by the team. This does not mean that the head coach is not in charge of bench personnel, because he is, it just means he is subordinate to the team captain, and that if the head coach cannot control his bench then his captain will.

2) He/she is in charge of his/her teammates on the court.

3) If the head coach does not break the huddle on the first horn during the first timeout of the game, I expect them to break the huddle and that they are to start breaking the huddle on the first horn of each timeout from then on during the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
honestly I am not sure what the "policy" is on this in our state, JRut must know this...I have never run into this issue though, never known a coach to WANT to alienate officials before the game even starts...
The IHSA State Policy is for all head coaches to attend the all sportsmanship meetings. If they do not do this, then we have the right or obligation to write them up with a Special Report. So it is mandatory for this meeting to involve the coaches and captains. And we have been doing this before there was a policy with the NF based on some inappropriate comments that were made by an official and the meeting has to take place near or right in front of the scorer's table (not near mid-court).

Peace