Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Does that mean the other 1.2 billion will give a **** tomorrow?
No, they're still uncommitted.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
No, they're still uncommitted.
What are they waiting for? A public display of compassion augmented by tears and a cracking voice?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

And a display of strong principles.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
What are they waiting for? A public display of compassion augmented by tears and a cracking voice?
No, a poll. Maybe we should have one.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by kblehman

On a similar note, I've done a number of JV games where the coach is fine, but the varsity coach who is sitting on the bench continues to yap and make generic comments. ("It's barn-ball out there," "if they're not gonna call it you just have to play through it," "he's all over him," etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Nope, those are unsporting comments and definitely deserve a T. Those comments coming from an adult in a youth environment are unacceptable. Youth sports is about teaching the kids proper behavior, not just how to play the game. If you refuse to T for this, then please stop officiating youth games and work only adult leagues.
I understand what you're saying. I think if I had it to do over again I'd have warned the coach that I'd heard enough from the guy on the bench. Being a rookie, it's sometimes difficult for me to fully understand that I'm the one in charge. I wish I could've worked with a firm but diplomatic veteran so I could learn by how he interacted with coaches. But, sadly, our association doesn't really have that sort of mentoring plan.

On a related note, one of the bench comment things I really hate is when, after constantly chirping about every non-call, they sarcastically call out, "thank you" when I call a foul in their favor. That really ticks me off.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Or looking at it from a different point of view, you could grow a crop and have the balls to take care of bidness.
I had a varsity girls coach down 35 want a travel right in front of him Tuesday night. He actually said, "C'mon, we're down 35 points." I was standing right there, smiled, and said, "Tied or down 35, that's not a travel." He told me he'd send me the video, and I told him to make it VHS and smiled in his general direction.

I know what you're thinking -- 25 years ago I *might* have had Beta. Truth is, I don't have any VHS players anymore and certainly don't want to watch *that* game again.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
He told me he'd send me the video.....
I wish I had a nickel for every time that I've heard "It better be in the films." And another nickel for every time that I heard absolutely nothing later on about it not being in the films.

Funny how that works(in both football and basketball).
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, a poll. Maybe we should have one.
What do the Poles have to do with any of this? Try to stay on topic please!

Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I had a varsity girls coach down 35 want a travel right in front of him Tuesday night. He actually said, "C'mon, we're down 35 points." I was standing right there, smiled, and said, "Tied or down 35, that's not a travel." He told me he'd send me the video, and I told him to make it VHS and smiled in his general direction.

I know what you're thinking -- 25 years ago I *might* have had Beta. Truth is, I don't have any VHS players anymore and certainly don't want to watch *that* game again.
I'd never do this in a varsity game but....about 5 or 6 years ago I was working a weekend tourney (I have no idea what grade level it was). I had a routine oob call on the baseline. One of the fans who had been a bit of a pain and was taking things way too seriously starts yelling, "You got that one wrong! I have it on tape!" as he was filming the game. I nicely told him, "Feel free to go home and watch it right now." He just looked at me like he couldn't believe I said it. We didn't hear from him anymore at least.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 10:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What do the Poles have to do with any of this? Try to stay on topic please!

If people from Poland are Poles, what do you call people from Holland?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If people from Poland are Poles, what do you call people from Holland?
Dutch?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dutch?

Are you finished? " No, I'm Irish".
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman

On a similar note, I've done a number of JV games where the coach is fine, but the varsity coach who is sitting on the bench continues to yap and make generic comments. ("It's barn-ball out there," "if they're not gonna call it you just have to play through it," "he's all over him," etc.)

Nope, those are unsporting comments and definitely deserve a T. Those comments coming from an adult in a youth environment are unacceptable. Youth sports is about teaching the kids proper behavior, not just how to play the game. If you refuse to T for this, then please stop officiating youth games and work only adult leagues.

Also I've said it before and will say it again, the only officials who use the words "rabbit ears" are the ones who are too weak-willed to properly assess unsporting technical fouls.
Wow !! Considering the responses from Jurrasic and Nevada, who I respect as knowledgable officials (vs my 1.5 years of experience), I will change my opinion on the OP and strive to better my game management skills regarding coaches comments.....
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 12:44pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Wow !! Considering the responses from Jurrasic and Nevada, who I respect as knowledgable officials (vs my 1.5 years of experience), I will change my opinion on the OP and strive to better my game management skills regarding coaches comments.....
There are times when you can ignore comments and times when you need to deal with them...just understand that one of our responsibilities as an official is to enforce the bench decorum/sportsmanship rules - regardless of the level of ball.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
Yup, nip it in the bud. To a certain extent, the lower the level of basketball, the less I'm going to listen to from coaches and players. I think many here would say the same.