The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

The comment on the rule interpretation below from the NFHS site has raised a question in my mind.
Suppose team A was leading by 5 points and the coach for A was a complete idiot as described in the situation.

Would it be appropriate to give the coach a technical or technicals even though they would not affect the outcome of the game? By rule I would say no-but the comment indicates to me that that sort of behavior should be penalized.
I'm thinking maybe a written report to the State to report the incident.

SITUATION #20: Team A is leading 61-60. B1 fouls A1 in the act of shooting as time expires. As the officials approach the scorer's table, the Team A coach rushes the floor and begins screaming obscenities at the officials. RULING: A technical foul is assessed to the Team A coach. The foul at the expiration of time is no longer ignored. The technical foul on the Team A coach created a false double foul situation, which may affect the outcome of the game. The penalties will be administered in the order in which they occurred. With the lane cleared, A1 will shoot two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting. If both are successful, the game is over. If one or both are missed, an eligible player from Team B will shoot the two technical foul free throws. The free throws will determine the outcome of the game or an extra period will be played. COMMENT: Jurisdiction of the officials is terminated when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. While the preferred action would be for all officials to immediately leave the playing area, such an observable action by the coach should be penalized as unsporting. (5-6-4; 10-4-1c; 4-19-8; 5-6-3 Exp)

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Feb 12th, 2002 at 03:28 PM]
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I still don't understand the concept behind this rule. Keep in mind that I am a FIBA referee - not NFHS or NCAA.

If the score is Team A 100, Team B 10 at full time. And Coach B (or Coaach A) runs on the court and abuses me. I'm calling a T, and we are shooting free throws.

My reasoning - although the free throws may not have an impact on the individual game, what about the position of teams in the league (or tournament)? Or the ppg of players? Not allowing the free throws may put one team at a disadvantage.

Of course, I am only a FEEBLE referee, so no-one cares what I think.....

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm leaving the court, that coach would have to chase me to the locker room. in this situation with the foul and end of game i'm not going to the table. I don't know why the officials are approaching the scorer's table. If you are going to go to the table and put yourself in this position and winning coach is going to act like this then i don't think you have a choice but to take care of business.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
The comment on the rule interpretation below from the NFHS site has raised a question in my mind.
Suppose team A was leading by 5 points and the coach for A was a complete idiot as described in the situation.

Would it be appropriate to give the coach a technical or technicals even though they would not affect the outcome of the game? By rule I would say no-but the comment indicates to me that that sort of behavior should be penalized.
I'm thinking maybe a written report to the State to report the incident.

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Feb 12th, 2002 at 03:28 PM]
I'd do it, and I've done it.

Case: Coach A issued one technical foul during the game. Coach A blocks my exit from the gym after the game. I calmly say, come with me and approach the scorer. I tell the scorer "Please make a note that Coach A recieved his second T after the game but before the officials left the confines of the court." Since Coach A followed me to the table, he's now not blocking the exit. I leave.

Since this was the first game of a tourney, Coach A missed the second game.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I still don't understand the concept behind this rule. Keep in mind that I am a FIBA referee - not NFHS or NCAA.

If the score is Team A 100, Team B 10 at full time. And Coach B (or Coaach A) runs on the court and abuses me. I'm calling a T, and we are shooting free throws.

My reasoning - although the free throws may not have an impact on the individual game, what about the position of teams in the league (or tournament)? Or the ppg of players? Not allowing the free throws may put one team at a disadvantage.

Of course, I am only a FEEBLE referee, so no-one cares what I think.....
D- Here point for or against is not that big of a deal. Most tiebreakers never make it that far. I think the intent of the rule is why stick around if it will not make a difference. The only time I may do this is if a coach does chase me off and makes contact or soem other action that needs to be addressed, then I would return to the scorer to eject him, then fill out the paperwork. But it would have to be pretty severe.

I usually develop this odd case of deafness after the buzzer goes off in a game. What is even stranger my hearing returns after I get back to the locker room.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

You only have to win by 1 point. Once the buzzer sounds and the score is not tied nor can it be tied or won by administering any/all pending free throws - game over.

Statstics are the scorekeepers' and coaches' concern, not ours. I guess that's part of the reason an adult is supposed to be on the book. We have our AOR, they have theirs.

BTW, Bob, you are the man! Pretty classy move. Was the coach happy to follow you into that pit of doom? :0 As I was reading this, I considered the punative results of the T on the coach vs. the score. If it effects the coach in the next game, I would take it to the table - but you still don't shoot the FT's in NFHS unless it could change the outcome of the game.