View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

The comment on the rule interpretation below from the NFHS site has raised a question in my mind.
Suppose team A was leading by 5 points and the coach for A was a complete idiot as described in the situation.

Would it be appropriate to give the coach a technical or technicals even though they would not affect the outcome of the game? By rule I would say no-but the comment indicates to me that that sort of behavior should be penalized.
I'm thinking maybe a written report to the State to report the incident.

SITUATION #20: Team A is leading 61-60. B1 fouls A1 in the act of shooting as time expires. As the officials approach the scorer's table, the Team A coach rushes the floor and begins screaming obscenities at the officials. RULING: A technical foul is assessed to the Team A coach. The foul at the expiration of time is no longer ignored. The technical foul on the Team A coach created a false double foul situation, which may affect the outcome of the game. The penalties will be administered in the order in which they occurred. With the lane cleared, A1 will shoot two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting. If both are successful, the game is over. If one or both are missed, an eligible player from Team B will shoot the two technical foul free throws. The free throws will determine the outcome of the game or an extra period will be played. COMMENT: Jurisdiction of the officials is terminated when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. While the preferred action would be for all officials to immediately leave the playing area, such an observable action by the coach should be penalized as unsporting. (5-6-4; 10-4-1c; 4-19-8; 5-6-3 Exp)

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Feb 12th, 2002 at 03:28 PM]