The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

do we reset the clock

Beginning of the game last night. Two person crew and I'm the U. Jump ball goes up and is tipped opposite me, right down the division line. I chop when the jumper's touch it. It hits someone but i can't see who and neither can my partner so we rejump. I had the timer reset the clock to 6:00 (jv game). Second jump ball, jumpers touch simultaneously and send the ball down the division line and out OB opposite me. So we jump again and again I reset the clock. Was it right to reset the clock in both situations?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Beginning of the game last night. Two person crew and I'm the U. Jump ball goes up and is tipped opposite me, right down the division line. I chop when the jumper's touch it. It hits someone but i can't see who and neither can my partner so we rejump. I had the timer reset the clock to 6:00 (jv game). Second jump ball, jumpers touch simultaneously and send the ball down the division line and out OB opposite me. So we jump again and again I reset the clock. Was it right to reset the clock in both situations?
I'm assuming the ball went OOB. Anyway unless there was a clock malfunction you should have left the clock alone. Really no rule provision that would allow you to reset the clock unless it malfunctioned (I.E Clock running when it shouldn't or not running when it should)

Time ran off is time ran off!!!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Assuming you recognize that you shouldn't have chopped when the jumpers touched the ball...if done correctly, you would have chopped when it hit "someone", and the clock would have run....BUT, I suppose you would have to have definite knowledge of how much time ran off from the time the ball was touched to the time it went out of bounds in order to reset it at all...othewise I would have left it where it was even though I chopped when I shouldn't have - you must have definite knowledge to reset the clock to anything. From there, on the second jump ball, if the clock moved at all you could have reset it to where it was before you threw the second jump since you have definite knowledge that it shouldn't have run at all...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Are you kiddin me - 6 minute quarters for JV?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Are you kiddin me - 6 minute quarters for JV?
Yeah that is pretty pathetic, as I recall they run 8 in IL?? They even run 7 for the underclass stuff!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Yeah i thought i F'd it up. Crap.

and yes it went OB the first time as well.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Assuming you recognize that you shouldn't have chopped when the jumpers touched the ball...if done correctly, you would have chopped when it hit "someone", and the clock would have run...
What??? You mean you wouldn't chop the clock until the ball was touched by someone other then the jumper?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of which, what is the OT period in a 7 minute game? I have not had one in years since I haven't done much underclass stuff lately, but I do have a few on my schedule this year...is it 3 mins?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah that is pretty pathetic, as I recall they run 8 in IL?? They even run 7 for the underclass stuff!
we've been doing 8 for JV/V 7 frosh and even some MS 6 for 6th and below. no wonder some of you guys can do so many games in one night
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Was it right to reset the clock in both situations?
No.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Assuming you recognize that you shouldn't have chopped when the jumpers touched the ball...if done correctly, you would have chopped when it hit "someone",
You're saying that you don't start the clock until someone other than the jumpers touch the ball?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Speaking of which, what is the OT period in a 7 minute game? I have not had one in years since I haven't done much underclass stuff lately, but I do have a few on my schedule this year...is it 3 mins?
Half the time of a quarter: 3 and 1/2 minutes

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4 minutes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
You're saying that you don't start the clock until someone other than the jumpers touch the ball?
Thats the way I was taught long ago...however, it's not exactly something that is covered frequently, and I don't see it in the NF rulebook or casebook, so if someone has evidence to the contrary I'd be willing to listen...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I suppose you would have to have definite knowledge of how much time ran off from the time the ball was touched to the time it went out of bounds in order to reset it at all...othewise I would have left it where it was even though I chopped when I shouldn't have - you must have definite knowledge to reset the clock to anything. From there, on the second jump ball, if the clock moved at all you could have reset it to where it was before you threw the second jump since you have definite knowledge that it shouldn't have run at all...
First of all you chop the clock as soon as the ball is legally touched...Rule 5-9-2..."If play is started or resumed by a jump, the clock shall be started when the tossed ball is legally touched."

As soon as one of the jumpers touch the ball it is legally touched!

Not sure why you would need to know how much time ran off from the time it was touched to when it went OOB. The only time you might have to reset the clock on a jump ball is if the ball is tossed and neither player touches the ball before it hits the floor & the clock starts to run. You would re jump with a reset clock then.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 12:08pm.