The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

If you want your check.....

Ok, this was a first for me. I showed up to do a 7/8 grade game and the parking lot is empty. You probably know where I'm going with this. Anyway nobody is there except the coach, not the AD (who hired me but doesn't do contracts), principal or anybody else.

He informs me the game as cancelled, but he has my check. All I needed to do was help him set up for volleyball which had a game in a few hours.

It first I thought he was joking....nope. I'm in full uniform mind you.

I did it as I was already there and $50 for 5 minutes worth of work. But the principle behind it almost made me tell him to piss up a rope.

This ought to be interesting. What would you have done?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. I probably would have done the same thing you did because I would have been so surprised at the request. As time went on, I would get more angry about it.

Oddly enough, I'd have no problem at all with helping the guy. All he had to say was "The game has been cancelled, but I really need some help setting up for our volleyball game tonight. Would you mind helping me out for just a few minutes?"
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me
Just about the same thing. I might not have been as nice about it.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
Oddly enough, I'd have no problem at all with helping the guy. All he had to say was "The game has been cancelled, but I really need some help setting up for our volleyball game tonight. Would you mind helping me out for just a few minutes?"
This is exactly my thought - I'd have helped either way, but I'd have been glad to help instead of perturbed if it had been done this way...

Probably best in the long run to just do it, get your check, and leave as you did.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I would have grabbed the check, then told the guy that the "volleyball set-up workers union" requires that he also pays me scale if he wants help. Scale in this case being $50 an hour or any part thereof. Oh yeah, union rules require he pay me in advance - in cash.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Wow. Well, I would have done what you did and helped, but I would have quite pointedly told the coach exactly what I thought about him handling things the way he did and stressed to him that had he asked, I would have helped even after he handed me the check...
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, this was a first for me. I showed up to do a 7/8 grade game and the parking lot is empty. You probably know where I'm going with this. Anyway nobody is there except the coach, not the AD (who hired me but doesn't do contracts), principal or anybody else.

He informs me the game as cancelled, but he has my check. All I needed to do was help him set up for volleyball which had a game in a few hours.

I did it as I was already there and $50 for 5 minutes worth of work. But the principle behind it almost made me tell him to piss up a rope.

Game cancelled I show up. I should get paid since I set aside time.

My choice tell him to go jump or help him set up the net and be on my way in 5 minutes or so. I'm helping him set up the net. Hey he wants to pay me $50.00 for 5 minutes of work no problem. That being said I understand why you felt the way you did.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 04:02pm
M.A.S.H.

I would have helped. But I might of been a little angry by him stating that I had to do it in order to get my check.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'd laugh and say "good one" as I took the check or tell him you're not patched in volleyball.

Seriously, if he asked me politely I'd help him.

So if the plumber shows up at your place, but the sink is now working, you tell him you'll pay the service call if he mows the lawn?

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 04:13pm.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 09:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

I probably would not have driven to a game wearing my full uniform.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I probably would not have driven to a game wearing my full uniform.
Kids games? You do the full metal jacket and change at the gym?
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 11:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

agree with fullor. I hate going dressed, but I've found that when doing anything below high school, it's best not to risk having to dress in a public restroom. 7th and 8th grade, I'll show up dressed unless I know the specific school has adequate facilities.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
agree with fullor. I hate going dressed, but I've found that when doing anything below high school, it's best not to risk having to dress in a public restroom. 7th and 8th grade, I'll show up dressed unless I know the specific school has adequate facilities.
Same here. I've got too many "interesting" stories to ever dress at a jr. high school again.