The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Is is standard procedure for evaluators in your area to carry frying pans, or is this just your personal weapon of choice?
Around here evaluators believe the pen is mighter than the frying pan.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 12:17am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT THE REF
Hey everyone;

First, I want to wish everyone a happy new year. I have learned a great deal of information from the Forum and it has made me a better official from it.

Today I had a problem with my partner. I have worked with the gentleman a few times in the past; and have had problems with him. Every time he wanted to "wear the pants" and try to challenge/"correct" me on the court. Last year he would call me over to talk during time outs - just to tell me what I was doing wrong....

Today I helped out my assigner and did a MS inner-town (east vs west) "rivalry" game i guess you could call it. I arrived in plenty of time, enough to watch pre-game. The gym was cold; so I wore my jacket while watching with about 11:00 to go before we were to start.

My partner walks in with about 7:00 to go before tip-off and wants to know why I was wearing a jacket... We had problems from then on. With about 4:00 before tip off, a player from team B decides that he is to do a pull up on the rim... However since he isn't tall enough, he grabbed on the net and pulled himself up to the rim and was hanging there...

Well that was followed by another player (6'0") making a slam dunk, missing the basket but still hanging on the rim... I start to walk over and my partner cuts me off in at the pass... with these kind words... "your not going to do that are you... see if you do that then I know you didnt play the game... You have to let these kids play ball... that is why ref's like you shouldnt be out here... you dont understand the game."

I walked over - got captians and held a brief 10 sec. meeting... Then there was a barage of minor problems... He would reach into my "area", make phantom calls and then try to throw me under the bus...

I know im just venting here but I needed to get this out. What would you guys do about the pregame incident that I wrote above...? He has been working this area for about 5 years to my 2. So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy new year...

Pat

Your parnter has only been officiating five years to your two years. He is a relatively new official just like you. He sounds like the suck up official who only cares about getting games to collect a game fee. I would of reported both TF's and started the game with the free throws. Remember, you were already at the game when he decided to show up to officiate, You were the R in the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Thanks for everyones advice...

Pat
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
I will just quote the assignor in my area after a game a friend of my called last season
She was really angry cause her partner wasn't even trying. He didn't run, didn't even attempt to call the game properly. After the game she said
"I never want to officiate with him again" (note this had happened before when they called games)
"I know, but you should know. When you looked at the court today, there were one official looking good and proffesional. He is not that official" (He has been calling games probably, 10 years longer then she, maybe even more).
Talk to your assignor, let him know how you feel about this partner, and if this ever happens.
Get in, get done, get out
Then take care of things after the game has ended (offcourse try to talk to him during the game, but if he won't listen, don't force anything and start an argument)
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just call your game and move on. Talking to him afterwards is not going to change anything. You might call your supervisor and tell him what he said and that you would not like to work with him. I would not help him out on the court or go out of my way to be nice to him since it is clear he is not extending that same olive branch. I would not be overly helpful with the coaches on his behalf since he knows more than you do. Just like with coaches and players, they cannot quote silence. If you have an exchange with him, it is going to turn into a he said, he said situation. It is a middle school game after all and the fact that he is talking to you about what to call in the context of that (and he has been working them for 5 years) should tell you all you need to know.

Every time you work with someone (and you have no idea who they are), ask yourself this question. Why are they working with you? You might have multiple answers for that question, but at least it will help you understand why they are working with a newer official and they could be working somewhere else. Sometimes that answer means they are doing it for the money, exercise, giving back to the game and to other officials or they cannot get other opportunities. When you realize that many are not where they would like to be, then take their comments and attitudes for what they are worth. And it is clear that he is not qualified to tell you what you should be doing only having worked 3 years more than you and he is still working the same level.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 02:22pm
baluga32

While it does seem like a big deal, it really isn't...Contact your supervisor of officials and tell him EXACTLY what transpired. You may not be the only guy having a problem with this official. Also tell him this isn't the first time that this has happened, but will be the last!! If he insists, have him come out and watch you two work a game together. It shouldn't matter if you have been with the association for 2 years or 2 days...The way he is treating you isn't right...and that's the bottom line.