The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What is the correct call?

Player A1 shoots a baseline jumper. B1 fouls A2 fighting for the rebound. The basket is good and Team A is not in the bonus. I know the basket counts, but who is entitled to the ball, Team A or does it just go to Team B?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Fungo

Player A1 shoots a baseline jumper. B1 fouls A2 fighting for the rebound. The basket is good and Team A is not in the bonus. I know the basket counts, but who is entitled to the ball, Team A or does it just go to Team B?
Fungo,
Let's penalize the foul.
That's good off-ball officiating!
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fungo
.... Team A or does it just go to Team B?
In a non-bonus situation the ball is awarded to the fouled team, which in this case is Team A.

I'll "second" Mick on the off-ball call!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Call it or Pass?

I've been coached on these to pass on this foul if it didn't affect the play (and on a made basket it does not) unless it is particularly rough or it is time to send a message (e.g., things getting out of hand, these 2 are going at it too much).
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Call it or Pass?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
I've been coached on these to pass on this foul if it didn't affect the play (and on a made basket it does not) unless it is particularly rough or it is time to send a message (e.g., things getting out of hand, these 2 are going at it too much).
Richard,
I agree exactly, but before we start passing on those calls, we, as newer officials, must first recognize that those off-ball fouls do, in fact, exist.
First we take our baby steps, and then we make our leaps and bounds.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to take care of them early and they usually clean it up somewhat. When B1 is camped out waiting for a rebound and A2 comes flying in, sticks a forearm in his back and dislodges him from the floor I don't pass this up or it continues and even gets worse.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:09pm
Administrator

Re: Call it or Pass?

Quote:

NO!! NO!! NO!! Whoever is coaching you to pass on this should receive a thousand lashes with a wet noodle. This is a foul on B1 everytime: NFHS, NCAA Men's and Women's, and FIBA.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:19pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

NO!! NO!! NO!! Whoever is coaching you to pass on this should receive a thousand lashes with a wet noodle. This is a foul on B1 everytime: NFHS, NCAA Men's and Women's, and FIBA.
Mark T.,
The Clinics are teaching "flow control" all over the country...Fed and CCA.
mick
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Call it or Pass?

Quote:
Quote:

Mark,

Perhaps you should look at the latest points of emphasis from FIBA - it quite specifically says that referees (especially at higher levels) need to concentrate on the flow of the game, and calling fouls according to advantage/disadvantage principles.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:46pm
Administrator

In another thread about a similiar play I said that we are not officiating soccer. We are officiating basketball and Newton's Laws of Motions concerning an equal and opposite reaction apply in this play. B1 fouled A2 while the ball was in flight. If the official decides that he is not going to penalize B1 for his illegal actions, it tells A2 that he to, can foul without impunity.

We have gone down this slippery slope of being afraid to penalize a foul because some hot shot officials tell us to not call this foul. And look what is has gotten us: every year we are told to crack down on rough play. When an official does not penalize B1 in this play, the official is contributing to rough play not eliminating it. There is no defense for not calling the foul on B1 in the posted play.

Every year I ask myself: Why are officials afraid to do their job? Call the foul the firs time it happens and the players know that they cannot play in such a rough manner. Do not call the foul and you are telling the players that they can play has rough as they want to play.

This is not a matter of calling ticky tack fouls. It is a matter of making sure that the game is played as intended by the rules. The definition of incidental contact tells us that the actions by B1 in the posted play is a foul and it has to be called.

As far as flow of the game, not penalizing rough play does not improve the flow of the game. Its a foul: NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
In another thread about a similiar play I said that we are not officiating soccer. We are officiating basketball and Newton's Laws of Motions concerning an equal and opposite reaction apply in this play. B1 fouled A2 while the ball was in flight. If the official decides that he is not going to penalize B1 for his illegal actions, it tells A2 that he to, can foul without impunity.

We have gone down this slippery slope of being afraid to penalize a foul because some hot shot officials tell us to not call this foul. And look what is has gotten us: every year we are told to crack down on rough play. When an official does not penalize B1 in this play, the official is contributing to rough play not eliminating it. There is no defense for not calling the foul on B1 in the posted play.

Every year I ask myself: Why are officials afraid to do their job? Call the foul the firs time it happens and the players know that they cannot play in such a rough manner. Do not call the foul and you are telling the players that they can play has rough as they want to play.

This is not a matter of calling ticky tack fouls. It is a matter of making sure that the game is played as intended by the rules. The definition of incidental contact tells us that the actions by B1 in the posted play is a foul and it has to be called.

As far as flow of the game, not penalizing rough play does not improve the flow of the game. Its a foul: NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA.
Mark T.,
I do not disagree with your opinion of the way it ought to be.
mick
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Mick,
We as officials decide the way it should be. I think it is time to call a foul a foul. When the post reads B1 FOULS A2 what difference should it make if the basket is good or not. If it is a foul it is a foul. The rules allow for a determination of an advantage gained only on loose ball situations. I get so sick of people telling me that I call too many fouls. I always ask them which FOULS am I not supposed to call. Last night someone told me that I fouled out a player and I had to tell them that I didn't foul them out they fouled themselves out. Thank you for letting me vent on the forum. Mr. DeNucci if I ever move to the Bowling Green area, you will be the first one I call.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
Mick,
We as officials decide the way it should be. I think it is time to call a foul a foul. When the post reads B1 FOULS A2 what difference should it make if the basket is good or not. If it is a foul it is a foul. The rules allow for a determination of an advantage gained only on loose ball situations. I get so sick of people telling me that I call too many fouls. I always ask them which FOULS am I not supposed to call. Last night someone told me that I fouled out a player and I had to tell them that I didn't foul them out they fouled themselves out. Thank you for letting me vent on the forum. Mr. DeNucci if I ever move to the Bowling Green area, you will be the first one I call.
BigJoe,
I surely cannot disagree with you, either.
mick
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Its soooo nice to work women's. They put it in writting not to call game interupter fouls.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

If you don't call the foul, it will surely escalate.

I feel the same way about a "held ball". If you have a quick wistle ... the undue roughness will be kept in check.