The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I need help forgetting the fans and coaches. It was a long busy season, and I could feel myself getting testy, especially w/ 1 team's fans, (who I see at mass). I have 4 years into this now, ands I think I'm not good under big game pressure w/ lots of fan/coach stress. HELP me zone it out!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Pilot ref:

Keep in mind, it's getting towards the end of the season, and it is likely you may be mentally/physically drained. So, rest as much as possible, eat the right foods, and liquids. Also, I've noticed that individuals are stressed, since Sept. 11th, and the economy is suffering, and a lot of those yellers in the crowd are laid off with no jobs.

It takes a special person to officiate, and sounds like to me you are a class act. Consistently, present yourself professionaly and don't allow any of these lunatics influence your concentration. If certain individuals in the crowd get too rowdy and are a possible threat to the contest, have the administration dismiss them from the game. If coaches are out of line, "t" them. There is no room for this type of behavior and should not be tolerated.

You are there to enhance the educational values for the kids on and off the court. Take care of business!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
my favorite thought

When I'm in a tough situation (big game, last second shot, etc.) I rely on one quote to keep me focused.

"Maintain your composure while everyone around you loses theirs"
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

You have to love it when they boo.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Act like a CEO.

Quote:
Originally posted by pilotref
I need help forgetting the fans and coaches. It was a long busy season, and I could feel myself getting testy, especially w/ 1 team's fans, (who I see at mass). I have 4 years into this now, ands I think I'm not good under big game pressure w/ lots of fan/coach stress. HELP me zone it out!
Look at it this way. Who is in charge? Is it the fans or is it the coaches or is it you?

Officiating is basically you being given the huge responsibility of having to run the game. If you are not there, no one is there to run the game. They do not just play without the officials.

I feel when you look at it as if this is YOUR GAME to run, what the other parties think is minimal at best. Yes, they might have their opinion, but does the CEO really listen to what the janitor says? Look at the same way is that. Regardless of how much a fan or coach or even player rides you, you decide whether or not they stay or go. You decide whether I enforce certain rules or not enforce certain rules (in theory). You decide how the game is run or how the game is not run. And if anyone else could do that, why would you be there?

When that game is going on, it is your show. You run it how you please. The CEO still has to have answer to others, but if these entities are getting in the way of what you are doing, just ignore them or get rid of them. Of course that is to say you cannot get rid of every fan, but you should not care what they think. These people are like the people the judge whether you are a good lawyer, but never went to law school.

All you have to do is change your attitude about doing theses games, and you will be much happier. You are the boss basically. And if you are the boss, you only have to listen to certain people. Coaches and fans are not them. Your assignors and your evaluators you might have to. Keep it all in perspective if you can.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Try this. Start counting the stupid fan remarks. Each game, see if those fans can break your current record. When they do, turn toward them and clap - drives them nuts.

As to the coaches, just picture them as the howler monkeys they really are. Every time they make a remark, translate it from howler monkey to English. For example, "Call it both ways" translates to "Call it my way."

Pretty soon, you'll be having fun.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome Aboard PilotRef!

Quote:
Originally posted by pilotref
What fans?

My favorite thought in these situations is.... "That is your opinion, it is my Judgment. (based on thorough rules knowledge)"

As JRut said, "It's your game. Take control!"

Keep in mind YOU are the rules expert on the court, NO ONE ELSE(other than your partner, maybe) has spent more time studying the rules. Be confident, be decisive. Keep the game moving and you will enjoy it more.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think the easiest way to keep your mind focused is to tell yourself that no matter what there will be at least 2 people acting like adults in the gym, you and your partner. It doesn't matter what the fans, howlers or anyone else is doing, you have to be fair to the players and give them an equal chance to play the game of basketball, and hopefully at the same time show that you are a professional in what you are doing.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever I think "this game is big" or the crowd in gonna be large...I alway visualize the scene from the movie Hoosiers with Gene Hackman. The coach from a small Indiana high school takes his kids to the state championship. Trying to calm the team and put everything in perspective, coach takes a tape measure and his players out on the floor. In that one scene, he describes perfectly what the game is all about. It's not about the fans and the hype. It's about the basket that sits 10" from the floor. The lanes are always the same width... The fans and coaches are along for the ride, not part of it. This mindset helps me concentrate on the game and ignore the yelling and screaming because I want to give the ten players as much as they are giving the game. It sounds corny but it works for me.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

1) fans don't mean spuat, forget them. 2) coaches only need attention if they ask a question that needs to be answered. and if you don't know what to say to the coach, don't say anything. 3) you wouldn't be there if your assigner didn't think you could do it. Now with this in mind; during the game keep talking to yourself, it keeps you focused and less likely to hear fans and coaches. Example; Blue has the ball, watch the def. 31 and 22 are in my area. left foot is pivot foot, 12 is in the lane-"clear". 33 moved a little on that screen-"stay set", etc.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
pilot --

Here's what I'm trying. Sometimes it works, and then there are those other times...

Next time you watch a TV NBA game, notice that on a freethrow, the visiting shooter has to face a jiggling mass of snakey things. (I have no idea what those things are called.) As you watch, cross your eyes just a little, and focus on the basket. See how the movement in the background actually makes that basket come into sharp solid focus? It's sort of like that trick picture that used to be handed around three or four years ago where you had to stare long enough to see something that wasnt there at first glance. Keep practicing this as you watch NBA games.

Now apply those same mind principles to the fan noise in the gym where you're working. Blur it into a sort of aural wallpaper. Bring your own rhythm into focus. Consciously hold your attention in your hands and then bounce pass it onto the floor. Keep your attention there in the center of the action, where it belongs. It sounds kind of weird, I know, but a few times I've managed to make it work for me.

When you can't make it work, try this. Imagine staring at their pants and puking on their shoes. Laugh at this image. Feel big, smart and dominant. Then feel sorry for them.

These are things that I can pull off sometimes.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Relax and have FUN! This may not always work, but I have found that if you have fun and show it, coaches, fans, players, ect get that vibe and respond more positively to it. Also, just call you game the way you see it, and you should be fine, good luck

Doug
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Fans and coaches

Concetrate on the two things you can control,your attitude and your performance.This will help zone out the fans and coaches
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Fans and coaches

Concetrate on the two things you can control,your attitude and your performance.This will help zone out the fans and coaches
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Move over Phil Jackson!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Blur it into a sort of aural wallpaper. . .
Bring your own rhythm into focus. . .
Consciously hold your attention in your hands. . .
bounce pass it onto the floor. . .
I think there's a new Zen master among us. Juules, maybe you can help Shaq with his free throws.

Teach you, I will!
Make basket, you can!!

Try not! Do. Or do not. There is no try! <-- My personal favorite Star Wars quote.

Chuck