The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone else notice that the lower lhe level of play the worse the "parents / fans / coaches" are?

Had a 7th grade girls game last week (AKA detention) where team A is bringing the ball upcourt and team B coach is screaming for a timeout all the whole looking as if he's doing the YMCA song. I give him a look like he's from another planet and let him know that he doesn't have the ball. Then with this "Oh crap" look on his face he says he called it as soon as the his team had scored and before team A had inbounded. Didn't happen and he, I and my partner all knew it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 03:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJB Ump
Anyone else notice that the lower lhe level of play the worse the "parents / fans / coaches" are?
I've had to issue three Ts & one ejection so far this season...... all happened in Freshman games.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJB Ump
I do not think they are any worse, they are just less experienced (fans and coaches for example). And most of these games are played in empty gyms so you can hear them more. Varsity fans are just as stupid and dumb; they just are harder to hear over other fans that are making a lot of noise.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

First one to complain is the LAST guy who would volunteer to do our job...

Hey Rut....So are you excited about Rich Rodriquez taking over in Ann Arbor....I am a UM fan and admit, I was glad when Lloyd decided to step down and I'm also glad the Seniors got it done against the Gators yesterday....
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 04:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Scrap, if you have two big rivals do you pregame and officiate the game the same as you would with 2 mediocre, non rival teams playing each other for the first time or rarely play each other?
I think I try to call the game the same way. But we might just remind each other in pregame that this is an especially big game for the players and we need to be mentally ready for the intensity.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Them On Your Side

Many years ago, back inthe 20th century, when I was a young junior varsity official, I stayed to watch a great varsity game betwen two conference archrivals in a packed gym. Although one of the varsity officials was one of the best on our local board, with a resume that included many conference, and state tournament games, the crowd seemed to be getting on him most of the game. This official also happens to be one of the shortest officials on our board. Early in the third period, a ball becomes lodged betweem the ring and the backboard. Here comes this official, running as fast as he can, from midcourt, jumping as high as he can, to dislodge the ball, missing the ball by almost two feet. Every one in the crowd laughed at his effort. But you know what, the crowd was on his side the rest of the game.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Even though you know they're just kidding, when the whole gym chants: "Find a tall tree, and hang the referee," it will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

They are just kidding, right?
We've got a rope, (clap) we've got a tree! (clap)
All we need is, (clap) the referee (clap)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think they are any worse, they are just less experienced (fans and coaches for example). And most of these games are played in empty gyms so you can hear them more. Varsity fans are just as stupid and dumb; they just are harder to hear over other fans that are making a lot of noise.

Peace
I think JRUT's comment is called hitting the nail on its head.