The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA/NFHS difference

What are people's opinions of the different penalty for this in an NCAA game than the NFHS game? Which method do you prefer?

NCAA

The following are several important corrections that were inadvertently omitted from the 2008 NCAA Basketball Rules Book when the committee reorganized Rule 10:
Rule 10-4.8, PENALTY will read:
“(Men) Any individual who leaves the bench and enters the playing court, but does not participate in the fight, shall not be assessed a technical foul (no free throws awarded). That individual shall be ejected but not subject to suspension.
Note: the penalty does not apply toward team foul total.

NFHS

Bench personnel leaving the team bench during a fight or when a fight may break out:
(1) Do NOT participate in the fight – all players leaving bench are assessed flagrant fouls and disqualified, the head coach is assessed a maximum of one indirect technical foul (regardless of the number leaving the bench). If the number of each team's offenders is corresponding, no free throws are awarded, and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. If the number of each team's offenders is unequal, a maximum of two free throws are awarded the offended team, followed by a division line throw-in opposite the table.

The fouls do add to the team total.

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I like the high school method. It's clearer. Ejecting without a technical foul?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

If I am reading this correctly: If Team A has three players leave the bench and Team B has 1 player leave the bench - then Team B would get two free throws and the ball at the division line?

And all five players are ejected - obviously. coaches indirect Ts and required to sit?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 01:35am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
If I am reading this correctly: If Team A has three players leave the bench and Team B has 1 player leave the bench - then Team B would get two free throws and the ball at the division line?

And all five players are ejected - obviously. coaches indirect Ts and required to sit?
Is this a trick question?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo

Please start another thread for this. I would really like to keep this one for the original debate about which rule set handles this situation better.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 06:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I always found the "all players leaving bench are assessed flagrant fouls and disqualified" a bit harsh. While I understand the intent, in the heat of the moment when tempers flare, those first few seconds, a player(s) jumps up and steps a few feet onto the court......yet not participating or really getting near the fray? Are they really "leaving the bench?"
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Why start a new thread? Just checking to see if the scenario was correct...