The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Girls 7th Grade AAU

Not more than 15 seconds after the tip does the home team assistant coach start yelling out violations and fouls. At the 1:30 mark I tell him, "coach enough we are here to officiate you are here to coach." Next time the opponents are coming down the court, he howls again. WHACK!

Not another peep from him the entire game, shut the visiting coach up as well.

Man I like 1st QTR T's
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Just like calling that early lane violation or illegal off-ball screen. Lets folks know who is in charge and that you are into the game.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Worse yet, after I moved to Oklahoma, I was refereeing a Middle School game. We weren't three minutes into the game when the assistant coach was rung up for being out on the floor complaining. Not a word from the head coach, just a nod as I explained he was seatbelted.

Not one minute later, Mr. Assistant Howler Monkey gets rung up again. Now he's gone. Simple nod and acknowlegement from the head coach as I explain that he now has two indirect technicals, and that any offense by his bench would cause him to leave early.

Next time down the court, a kid at the end of the bench decides to try to show up the referees. *bang* Now the head coach is gone, and he never even stood up or said a word to us.

That game got worse afterwards. It's one of the reasons I decided to retire after 15+ years of refereeing...
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 07:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

This was a few years ago, but here it is:

Opening tip, A1 tips 3 times. I blow whistle for violation and announce it. Howler monkey A (yes, they haven't evolved at all) yells, "WHAT KIND OF A F***ING CALL WAS THAT???"

Flagrant WHACK! Sent him to his cage in the parking lot.

Time off the clock - 3 seconds.

Yes, I have ejected coaches and players prior to a game, but for starting a game and then ejecting someone, that's my personal record.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Foul called by my rookie partner at lead 15 seconds into the contest. Coach came onto court towards him. Rookie official didn't do anything. I whacked him from trail. He asked me how can I make that call for him? Whack and out! Yes, 15 seconds into the contest. What a memory!!!!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Last Saturday evening, girls 7th grade rec game. First trip down the floor we have a jump ball. I blow the whistle, then A1 swings at B1...WHACK, flagrant T. Go to the bench to tell the coach and he reminds me he only has 5 girls. I tell him that he only has 4 girls, cause #15 is gone. He starts yelling that I can't toss his star for a simple swing (and according to him, he should know because he is the league commissioner). I tell him to calm down, he knows the rules and she is out. He keeps screaming so, WHACK. I turn to tell the table that I have a T on the white team coach and hear; "You can't give me a f****ng T for that!". I turn around and say (with me cutest smile); "You're right coach, I can give you two!" WHACK.

18 seconds and I have already tossed a player and a coach. Not bad for a rookie .
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

As a player, I once got fould out (ie 5 fouls) in the first 90 seconds of a game. The first 3 were defensive personal fouls, the fourth a PC quickly followed by my fifth - a technical.

After a bit of research we found that this was (and probably stil is) the quickest foul out in Sydney Championship history.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:02pm
Administrator

I really hate to admit this but I have you all beat. It was May 2000, and I was officiating in the Hoosier State Games, girls' 13U age division.

Team A from the host city takes the court for warmups. A1 is wearing earrings and has them covered up with athletic tape. I approach A1 and ask if I can see what is under the tape on her ears. A1 replies that she is covering earrings with the tape. I inform A1 that I cannot make her remove the earrings but she cannot wear the earrings and play in the game. A1 tells me that she can play because she has them covered with tape. I tell A1 that she cannot play with while she is wearing the earrings. A1 says the other officials have let her play in her two earlier games (that is another story in itself about NFHS liability insurance for NFOA member officials). I told her that I do not know what the other officials told her be she cannot play while wearing jewelery.

I leave A1 and return to my postion on the court. About ninety seconds later Head Coach A approaches me and asks me why I am hasseling A1 about the earrings that she is wearing. I told him that I was not hasseling her, I was informing her of the rule prohibiting the wearing of jewelery. Coach A says that the other officials have let her play. I repeat to him what I told A1 about the other officials. Coach A1 reminds me that the game is for the players and not for the officials. I told him that he is absolutely correct and that my job and his job is to insure that the safety of the players is paramount. Coach A calls me a jerk. Coach A receives a direct technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. Coach A tells me that I cannot give him technical because the game has not started yet. I give Coach A a mini-clinic on officials' jurisdiction. Coach A tells me that the next thing that I am going to tell him is that I can eject him before the game starts. I inform Coach A that by rule it can happen. Coach A then tells me that only a jerk would eject him before the game starts. Coach A receives another direct technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct and also receives an all expenses paid trip to the parking lot. And we still had seven minutes on the clock before the scheduled tip-off.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a men's church league many years as the off official. After the usual arm-in-arm pre-game prayer around the center circle, I checked with the timer and scorekeeper and I signal my partner that everyone's ready. As he tosses the ball, and before the jumpers touch the ball, the two players right in front of me turn and start punching each other. Tweet!. Two flagrant fouls, two ejections, before the clock started. When I got home, I called the assignor and told him I wouldn't work that league again.

Bob
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Coach A tells me that the next thing that I am going to tell him is that I can eject him before the game starts. I inform Coach A that by rule it can happen. Coach A then tells me that only a jerk would eject him before the game starts. Coach A receives another direct technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct and also receives an all expenses paid trip to the parking lot. And we still had seven minutes on the clock before the scheduled tip-off.
This slays me.

When my daughter was a teen ager, we had a family counselor who was trying to get me to use, "Parental Communication." This largely involved repeating myself over and over again and liberally adding the word, nevertheless. It strikes me that the above situation would lend itself very well to this style.

Coach: I suppose next you're going to tell me that you could give ME a T before the game even starts!!

DeNucci: Yes, coach, I could.

Coach: Only a JERK would give a T before the game starts.

DeNucci: Nevertheless, (whack!) you now know that I can give a T, before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, come on, ref!! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!

DeNucci: Nevertheless, I can, and in fact have now given you a T before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, and I suppose next you'll tell me that you could eject me before the game starts.

DeNucci: Yes, theoretically, I could eject you before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, for Pete's sake! That's asinine!! Who ever heard of a coach being ejected before the game starts?!?

DeNucci: Nevertheless, coach, it would be theoretically possible and within the rules to eject a coach before the game starts.

Coach: You'd have to be a complete and total JERK to eject me before the game starts.

DeNucci: Nevertheless, coach, (whack!) I have now proven to you that it is not only possible, but probable to be ejected before the game starts, if you really push hard enough.

And coaches wonder why we are sometimes reluctant to discuss things with them...
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 12:07am
Administrator

Rainmaker, I love it.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio