Thread: 1st QTR T's
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Coach A tells me that the next thing that I am going to tell him is that I can eject him before the game starts. I inform Coach A that by rule it can happen. Coach A then tells me that only a jerk would eject him before the game starts. Coach A receives another direct technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct and also receives an all expenses paid trip to the parking lot. And we still had seven minutes on the clock before the scheduled tip-off.
This slays me.

When my daughter was a teen ager, we had a family counselor who was trying to get me to use, "Parental Communication." This largely involved repeating myself over and over again and liberally adding the word, nevertheless. It strikes me that the above situation would lend itself very well to this style.

Coach: I suppose next you're going to tell me that you could give ME a T before the game even starts!!

DeNucci: Yes, coach, I could.

Coach: Only a JERK would give a T before the game starts.

DeNucci: Nevertheless, (whack!) you now know that I can give a T, before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, come on, ref!! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!

DeNucci: Nevertheless, I can, and in fact have now given you a T before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, and I suppose next you'll tell me that you could eject me before the game starts.

DeNucci: Yes, theoretically, I could eject you before the game starts.

Coach: Oh, for Pete's sake! That's asinine!! Who ever heard of a coach being ejected before the game starts?!?

DeNucci: Nevertheless, coach, it would be theoretically possible and within the rules to eject a coach before the game starts.

Coach: You'd have to be a complete and total JERK to eject me before the game starts.

DeNucci: Nevertheless, coach, (whack!) I have now proven to you that it is not only possible, but probable to be ejected before the game starts, if you really push hard enough.

And coaches wonder why we are sometimes reluctant to discuss things with them...