The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

1.25 Years of Certification---Elvis has left the building

Two weeks ago, Boys' B and JV. B coaches were horrible...questioning calls, asking for calls, demonstrative. Warning both teams' coaches. JV game right after. Home team's coach was horrible, same as above. Although he hadn't been warned yet, he reacted to one play by commenting that we hadn't gotten one right all night...I issued a technical and then took my position for free throws. Home team's coach yells, "yeah, everybody knows you're in control." Issued a second technical.

Tonight, B girls tourney. Absolutely nutty parent. Although in hindsight I should have found out who the site manager was, the parent yelled so loudly, small gym and bleacher section right on the court, questioning why over the back hadn't been called and offered the input of, "you guys are horrible." I turned and said, "that's enough, anything else and you're out of here." He said, "well, it's true." So I sent him packing. I goofed by allowing my partner to put the ball in play before the parent had totally left the gym and he walked right by me on the baseline while leaving. I got the cordial, "fuc. you" whispered as he walked by. I then was questioned by the AD, in front of my partner and the two varsity officials, in the dressing area whether I said the aforementioned to the parent.

Here's the deal. I got into officiating to give back and be around the game. I also have gotten use to the extra cash. Although I admit having more to learn, I'm really not too bad at it. However, all the grief is just not worth it. To use a phrase I've heard by a couple others, "It's just not worth the money."

I've really enjoyed this forum and wish you all the best! Elvis has left the gym.

Last edited by dan74; Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:13pm.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
Two weeks ago, Boys' B and JV. B coaches were horrible...questioning calls, asking for calls, demonstrative. Warning both teams' coaches. JV game right after. Home team's coach was horrible, same as above. Although he hadn't been warned yet, he reacted to one play by commenting that we hadn't gotten one right all night...I issued a technical and then took my position for free throws. Home team's coach yells, "yeah, everybody knows you're in control." Issued a second technical.

Tonight, B girls tourney. Absolutely nutty parent. Although in hindsight I should have found out who the site manager was, the parent yelled so loudly, small gym and bleacher section right on the court, questioning why over the back hadn't been called and offered the input of, "you guys are horrible." I turned and said, "that's enough, anything else and you're out of here." He said, "well, it's true." So I sent him packing. I goofed by allowing my partner to put the ball in play before the parent had totally left the gym and he walked right by me on the baseline while leaving. I got the cordial, "fuc. you" whispered as he walked by. I then was questioned by the AD, in front of my partner and the two varsity officials, in the dressing area whether I said the aforementioned to the parent.

Here's the deal. I got into officiating to give back and be around the game. I also have gotten use to the extra cash. Although I admit having more to learn, I'm really not too bad at it. However, all the grief is just not worth it. To use a phrase I've heard by a couple others, "It's just not worth the money."

I've really enjoyed this forum and wish you all the best! Elvis has left the gym.

try reffing somewhere else
dont take that cr a p
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74

You will have those type of nights. 99 percent of us on this forum officiate because we enjoy it, not because of the money. Just learn to have thick skin. Besides, you must be doing something right if you have little over 1 year and already doing jv/v.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Do we have to quote the 1st post in every post thereafter?

Dan, all I can say is welcome to officiating. Those kind of nights/weeks happen. It's my first year, and I swear coaches can sniff out the rookies. Fortunately after a dozen years umpiring baseball coach chatter on the court is pretty tame, at least to this point.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Dan - I hope you don't hang it up because of one fan boy parent or incident. As has been said, "live and learn".

I had a bad incident last year (my first at this level) with one JV coach. I felt horrible, really bad. Really made me question why I do this. In the end, the coach got his....and it was a learning and growing experience for me. I hope you stick it out.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:38am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I had one of those games a couple years ago. 4 Ts issued to one team and there should have been more. It was the worst exhibit of poor sportsmanship I have ever seen. That said, it is now a measuring stick. Nothing could be that bad. I might issue 5 or 6 Ts in a season. Just chalk it up to a bad night for everyone and move on. If you go through life walking backwards, you will end up in much worse places.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Do we have to quote the 1st post in every post thereafter?
The last time I checked that's the choice of each individual poster and not for you to decide.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Dec 29, 2007 at 12:38pm.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I might issue 5 or 6 Ts in a season.
That sounds like an average quarter for me.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 08:58pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That sounds like an average quarter for me.

Only players & coaches use that sign for time-out. You must be getting old.