View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

1.25 Years of Certification---Elvis has left the building

Two weeks ago, Boys' B and JV. B coaches were horrible...questioning calls, asking for calls, demonstrative. Warning both teams' coaches. JV game right after. Home team's coach was horrible, same as above. Although he hadn't been warned yet, he reacted to one play by commenting that we hadn't gotten one right all night...I issued a technical and then took my position for free throws. Home team's coach yells, "yeah, everybody knows you're in control." Issued a second technical.

Tonight, B girls tourney. Absolutely nutty parent. Although in hindsight I should have found out who the site manager was, the parent yelled so loudly, small gym and bleacher section right on the court, questioning why over the back hadn't been called and offered the input of, "you guys are horrible." I turned and said, "that's enough, anything else and you're out of here." He said, "well, it's true." So I sent him packing. I goofed by allowing my partner to put the ball in play before the parent had totally left the gym and he walked right by me on the baseline while leaving. I got the cordial, "fuc. you" whispered as he walked by. I then was questioned by the AD, in front of my partner and the two varsity officials, in the dressing area whether I said the aforementioned to the parent.

Here's the deal. I got into officiating to give back and be around the game. I also have gotten use to the extra cash. Although I admit having more to learn, I'm really not too bad at it. However, all the grief is just not worth it. To use a phrase I've heard by a couple others, "It's just not worth the money."

I've really enjoyed this forum and wish you all the best! Elvis has left the gym.

Last edited by dan74; Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 08:13pm.