Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
Oh, and Mark, when one team is fouling a lot, you should not call so many fouls. Just tell the team that is getting fouled to shoot long range jumpers before the defense can get close enough to foul. Calling too many fouls is just how horrible officials cause kids to lose games. I am so disappointed in you.
Yeah, sorry. I guess the cat's out of the bag. I really do care who wins these games and I call the game to cover the spread. Don't tell those third grade coaches, OK?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:04pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
So your answer, as an official, is to instruct the OTHER team how to work around the violations instead of penalizing the offenders? Then maybe you should coach instead of officiate.
Yes, to some degree (as my examples cite) when we are officiating a RECREATIONAL 7th GRADE league. This was not a COMPETITIVE league. RECREATIONAL leagues are educational by nature. If all parties involved (coaches and officials) are out there for the kids education of the sport, then 9 technicals would not be called. Period.

I wonder why the OP even posted this. He indicated that the coach thought he was "being ridiculous" and was internalizing that the coach probably blamed him for losing the game. Why would he do that if he was TOTALLY sure about his actions. Sounds like he wanted validation from members of this board.

Don't post something if you can't take opposing viewpoints.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
I guess now he would go on to say that he would never call traveling in a Jr. High Game and he would never call fouls in a Highschool Game. I guess this is how we all need to start calling if we want to make it to the play off's like this guy did.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
Yes, to some degree (as my examples cite) when we are officiating a RECREATIONAL 7th GRADE league. This was not a COMPETITIVE league. RECREATIONAL leagues are educational by nature. If all parties involved (coaches and officials) are out there for the kids education of the sport, then 9 technicals would not be called. Period.
I get it. Unsporting actions are just fine in rec leagues. We're just supposed to ignore them.

Great philosophy.

Again, are you an official?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:05pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
So your answer, as an official, is to instruct the OTHER team how to work around the violations instead of penalizing the offenders? Then maybe you should coach instead of officiate.
Since when are coaches and officials, especially in an 11 year old rec league, adversaries? Since when are they not trying to accomplish the same goal?

Raise your hand if you have ever personally witnessed 9 INDIVIDUAL / SEPARATE Technical fouls in one game AT ANY LEVEL (fights excluded). Case closed.

I guess the OP made his point - he is the ultimate authority. And ruined the tempo of the game in the process. When all he had to do is back the kids up 2 feet. Even HS rules dictate if the OOB area is limited there is a 3-foot line that the defense can't cross marked on the court. Why couldn't he have just said "Move back a little". This would have kept the game flowing and at a time out could have instructed coaches how to instruct their players relative to the rules. he would have shown the coaches he is on the same side as them - trying to do what is best for the kids. Instead, he chose to be robocop.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:07pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
I guess now he would go on to say that he would never call traveling in a Jr. High Game and he would never call fouls in a Highschool Game. I guess this is how we all need to start calling if we want to make it to the play off's like this guy did.
I don't call much traveling in a 3rd grade game, do you? Or do you call it with the same intensity and detail as a V game? Do you call technicals for this delay in a 3rd grade game? Nope. Judgment.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:09pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I get it. Unsporting actions are just fine in rec leagues. We're just supposed to ignore them.

Great philosophy.

Again, are you an official?
No, we are supposed to use judgment. Yes, it IS a great philosophy. Maybe you should try it sometime if you believe NINE separate techicals in a 11 year old game is ever warranted.

I seriously doubt an 11 year old had evil unsporting intentions. Give us a break. Preventive officiating - maybe you heard of it? A simple "move back" would have kept the game going, and everyone would have enjoyed their hour - instead of robocop commadeering the game.

I wonder if this team has ever received THREE technicals in one game from any other pair of officials, much less NINE? That should also tell you something about this crew.

Last edited by Ralph; Mon Dec 24, 2007 at 03:15pm.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I wonder if this team has ever received THREE technicals in one game from any other pair of officials, much less NINE? That should also tell you something about this crew.
This was their second game together in history as a team. This league has a draft every year so the teams do not stay the same year after year. I did check with the guys who did their first game the week before and they said they issued five technicals for the same reason.

Also, have you noticed the opinions on this board are going about a bazillion to one against your ridiculous position? I'll say it once again, educating kids as to what rules are is best accomplished if you invoke the rule and then explain it, not ignoring the rule. Try to get that through your obviously too thick skull.

Also, if the league wasn't happy with the way I officiate, they have a strange way of showing it by continually asking me to be the supervisor of officials year after year.

What group of officials do you supervise?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Two weeks ago, my partner and I called 4 delay violations (3 Techs) in a 6th grade recreational league. Basketball, like life, has rules. Play fair.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Quote:
I don't call much traveling in a 3rd grade game, do you? Or do you call it with the same intensity and detail as a V game? Do you call technicals for this delay in a 3rd grade game? Nope. Judgment.
If I have warned them about it previously, then yes, I would. They wont ever learn if you dont call it. Same as traveling in 3rd grade, if you let them get away with it there, then they bring it on with them to Jr. High and Highschool and could cause the team the game.

I believe that we all agree that the lower level games is a time for learning. If you dont make the call, then they will never learn.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And ruined the tempo of the game in the process.
HE ruined the tempo of the game?

I agree that it's nice if a game has "tempo." But it's not up to us whether it does.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:55pm
Esteemed Participant

And just so we're all clear that this Ralph guy has absolutely no clue - 7th graders are not 11 years old. Stick around long enough Ralph and you will realize that quite a few of us "long-timers" on this board post things just to vent and we don't need or want any validation from anyone in those threads.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 04:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
7th graders are not 11 years old
Most of them in this league are 13. There's a few who are 12 and a couple who are 14. Not that it is a big deal, but when I went into 7th grade back in the Stone Age, I was 10 - and this was in a pretty rough jr. hi on the south side of Chicago. I grew up really fast.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, we are supposed to use judgment. Yes, it IS a great philosophy. Maybe you should try it sometime if you believe NINE separate techicals in a 11 year old game is ever warranted.

I seriously doubt an 11 year old had evil unsporting intentions. Give us a break. Preventive officiating - maybe you heard of it? A simple "move back" would have kept the game going, and everyone would have enjoyed their hour - instead of robocop commadeering the game.

Again, Ralph, are you an official?

You have made some posts here in your short posting history that have been absolutely ludicrous from an officiating standpoint. That's why I'm wondering if you've ever had a whistle in your mouth.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 04:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I wonder why the OP even posted this. He indicated that the coach thought he was "being ridiculous" and was internalizing that the coach probably blamed him for losing the game. Why would he do that if he was TOTALLY sure about his actions. Sounds like he wanted validation from members of this board.

Don't post something if you can't take opposing viewpoints.
Padgett's been around here for 8 years. We enjoy his stories.

Why would you join last month and already act like you are acting?
Closed Thread