The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 08:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Delay to the nth degree

Usual Saturday morning kids rec league schedule. First game (at 8:15, no less) of four was 7th grade boys. Team A got a delay warning for interfering with the ball after it went through the basket about 2 minutes into the game. A minute later, they got their second call for a boundary violation. This was right after my partner reminded them not to reach over the line. All in all, they got nine, count 'em nine, delay warnings that resulted in eight technicals. Five warnings were for interfering with the ball after a made basket, four were for boundary violations. The weird thing was that they never reached over the boundary and slapped the ball.

After one of the calls in the 3rd quarter, their assistant coach yelled at my partner that we were "being ridiculous". Mind you, not that their situation was ridiculous, but that we were. My partner teed him up, so we had four free throws that time. My partner wasn't overreacting - this league has a zero tolerance policy for coaches yelling at officials.

Oh yeah - they lost by 7. Gee, I wonder what cost them the game?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 08:50pm
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Usual Saturday morning kids rec league schedule. First game (at 8:15, no less) of four was 7th grade boys. Team A got a delay warning for interfering with the ball after it went through the basket about 2 minutes into the game. A minute later, they got their second call for a boundary violation. This was right after my partner reminded them not to reach over the line. All in all, they got nine, count 'em nine, delay warnings that resulted in eight technicals. Five warnings were for interfering with the ball after a made basket, four were for boundary violations. The weird thing was that they never reached over the boundary and slapped the ball.

After one of the calls in the 3rd quarter, their assistant coach yelled at my partner that we were "being ridiculous". Mind you, not that their situation was ridiculous, but that we were. My partner teed him up, so we had four free throws that time. My partner wasn't overreacting - this league has a zero tolerance policy for coaches yelling at officials.

Oh yeah - they lost by 7. Gee, I wonder what cost them the game?
IMO the referees did. Why, after the first technical (2 delay violations), didn't you use some game management and pull the coaches together and give them a few seconds to instruct their kids? These were 7th grade rec kids that MAYBE practice one a week and play 12 games a year (if they are like rec kids in my area).
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 09:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
IMO the referees did. Why, after the first technical (2 delay violations), didn't you use some game management and pull the coaches together and give them a few seconds to instruct their kids? These were 7th grade rec kids that MAYBE practice one a week and play 12 games a year (if they are like rec kids in my area).
Are you nuts? We warned them over and over. The coaches yelled at them before every OOB play not to reach over. They yelled at them in their huddles numerous times not to touch the ball after it went through the net. These kids practice twice a week and this league starts at 3rd grade. Most of these kids are in their 5th year of playing. Their behavior in this game is just something I can't explain. This is the 15th year I've worked this league and I've never seen anything like it before. And, if it was our "fault", why didn't the other team have even a single warning the entire game?

Ya' know, sometimes kids just don't listen and/or learn. That doesn't mean it's the fault of the officials and I resent your implication that we were negligent.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 09:16pm
Ralph

Quote:
Are you nuts? We warned them over and over. The coaches yelled at them before every OOB play not to reach over. They yelled at them in their huddles numerous times not to touch the ball after it went through the net. These kids practice twice a week and this league starts at 3rd grade. Most of these kids are in their 5th year of playing. Their behavior in this game is just something I can't explain. This is the 15th year I've worked this league and I've never seen anything like it before. And, if it was our "fault", why didn't the other team have even a single warning the entire game?

Ya' know, sometimes kids just don't listen and/or learn. That doesn't mean it's the fault of the officials and I resent your implication that we were negligent.
Well, even given what you said, I would NEVER call 9 delays in a 7th grade rec game when no advantage was gained. I think you were negligent in game management techniques, not rules enforcement. For the reach through I would back the defender up a couple feet and educate the inbounder that he can go back as far as he wanted. For slight reach throughs - I wouldn't even worry. For the touching the ball after the basket I would simply start the 5 second count after the team secured the ball unless you are telling me they swatted it far away. If they kept swatting it far away and completely went over the line on reach throughs to the point of obstructing the inbounder's view, etc., then you just have a team full of rejects. But if other refs don;t have this problem with them then I would look in the mirror.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Wow...
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
JMO=Old School=Ralph=KSref=[whatever the most recent one is]
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:46pm
Official & Member

Quote:
...For the reach through I would back the defender up a couple feet and educate the inbounder that he can go back as far as he wanted. For slight reach throughs - I wouldn't even worry. For the touching the ball after the basket I would simply start the 5 second count after the team secured the ball unless you are telling me they swatted it far away. If they kept swatting it far away and completely went over the line on reach throughs to the point of obstructing the inbounder's view, etc., then you just have a team full of rejects...

So your answer, as an official, is to instruct the OTHER team how to work around the violations instead of penalizing the offenders? Then maybe you should coach instead of officiate.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
JMO=Old School=Ralph=KSref=[whatever the most recent one is]

Isn't ralph the guy you call after your 14th beer? rrrrrrrrraaaaaaaallllph!!

Kinda fits here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:57pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
He was a college acquaintance, but not necessarily a friend.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
But if other refs don;t have this problem with them then I would look in the mirror.
Who the hell are you to tell me to "look in the mirror"? I've worked more kid's rec games than probably anyone else on this forum. I've served on the Board of this league for almost 15 years. Do you think I would call "petty" violations?

I look in the mirror every day. What I see is a guy who pulled this organization out of the red during my first year as Board president and who got his local newspaper to appeal to the community to get more volunteers when we didn't have enough to continue. I have never been anything but helpful and instructive to these kids. My philosophy in a league like this is to make the call, tell the kid what he/she did wrong, and keep calling it until they correct their wrong behavior. That's how they learn and that position is an official Board policy.

Gee - I guess you can sum it up by saying I truly believe in teaching kids to be responsible for the consequences of their own actions and not blame others. What a concept.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Gee - I guess you can sum it up by saying I truly believe in teaching kids to be responsible for the consequences of their own actions and not blame others. What a concept.
In what universe is this a good idea???
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Don't hold back Mark, tell us how you really feel!

Seriously, I agree with you 100%.

And Ralph, I've seen Mark work, and he does an outstanding job of game management, which isn't easy with the mix of kids & coaches you get at this level. This is the age where they need to learn these things if they want a chance at playing at the high school level, and experience is often the best teacher.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well, even given what you said, I would NEVER call 9 delays in a 7th grade rec game when no advantage was gained.

But if other refs don;t have this problem with them then I would look in the mirror.
The delays were called because they were giving that team an advantage. That advantage was delaying the game.

You really should look in the mirror. You're blaming an official for poor coaching.

Btw, are you an official?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the support, guys. If I have a sore spot, it's being attacked on my attitude toward my local kids rec league, since I have been involved with it for so long.

Actually, I have another sore spot, but no matter how much I beg her, Juulie won't rub it for me.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, and Mark, when one team is fouling a lot, you should not call so many fouls. Just tell the team that is getting fouled to shoot long range jumpers before the defense can get close enough to foul. Calling too many fouls is just how horrible officials cause kids to lose games. I am so disappointed in you.
Closed Thread