LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Confessions of a first year

Ok a confession from a first year guy on hosed called the other night-

3 minutes left until half time
A1 gets fouled down on the post by B1
A1 takes the line to shoot her two shots
Just before my partner tosses her the ball he notices she has a decent amount of blood on her shorts from a cut she has on her knee. He tells me what he has and goes over to the coach and explains to him she must get the blood solved (she still has not shot either of the free throws). While my partner is explaining all of this to the coach the assistant coach is already working on her leg with wipes, band aid and tape. The head coach turns to send a sub for A1 to the table. A6 subs in for a1. A6 steps up and shoots first shot missing. Coach calls time out (full). During this time A1 has been in the locker room changing shorts. Before the end of the time out A1 runs to the table to sub back in. (in my head this is ok because the time out). BUT the part we hosed is she subbed back in for A6 who shot the first shot. I stopped it and called my partner over and said that I thought she could come in for anyone but A6 and A6 would need to shoot both shots. My partner told me that the timeout buys them the ability to make that sub for the shooter since A1 should have been the shooter. I trusted his response and we went with it. A1 subbed in for A6 and shot the second shot and made it.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I really think there were only two solutions for it.

When coach is told that his player has blood he can either sub her and let A6 take both shots or call a timeout right then clean up A1 before the end of the timeout and she can stay in the game.

If he subs out A1 and A6 steps to the line for A1 he can only sub A1 back into the game after the first shot if he calls a timeout but A1 could not comeback in for A6, she could sub out A2-5 but not A6.

They write the test based on these type of games I think have decided.....
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Once A1 subs out, A1 stays out until after the clock has run.Rule 3-3-4. The coach has to take the timeout immediately if he wants to keep a player in the game. Rule 3-3-6.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

What JR said...there is no issue with A6 coming OUT before the clock has started, the issue is that once A1 is removed, he/she can't RETURN until the clock has started....you are partially correct though in that A6 can't come out until he/she has completed the free throws, these cannot be "split"..but if the coach wanted to sub A7 for A6 after the second FT, he/she could even though the clock hasn't started (assumes A6 made second FT)...
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Thanks