The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Theories on calling the game

Hey everyone. I'm new here. This is my 7th season as a referee (i'm 25) and my first year doing HS ball. I only do Freshman and JV at the HS level and I work a lot of middle school and men's rec leagues.

Anyway, in my first year of HS games, I've had quite a few partners who are seasoned vets and have "theories" as I call them on fouls. A few weeks ago I was in a game where V just wasn't fouling and H was hacking like crazy. It was like 8-1 on fouls w/ H=8. We came together during a timeout and my partner looked up at the scoreboard and said something like "lets try to even this up".

Last week I did a game and in pregame I told my partner (like 15 yrs of exp) that I don't really pay attention to fouls like that, I concentrate on my PCA and call whatever I see. He said something like "well if it's 10-1 on fouls, you can bet i'm going to find something.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you believe in "finding a foul" or just call what you see? I'm very confident in how I call my games but the HS game hasn't slowed down enough for me yet to get into all the things relating to the flow of the game and keeping fouls even. Thanks for your input. --JS
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Hey everyone. I'm new here. This is my 7th season as a referee (i'm 25) and my first year doing HS ball. I only do Freshman and JV at the HS level and I work a lot of middle school and men's rec leagues.

Anyway, in my first year of HS games, I've had quite a few partners who are seasoned vets and have "theories" as I call them on fouls. A few weeks ago I was in a game where V just wasn't fouling and H was hacking like crazy. It was like 8-1 on fouls w/ H=8. We came together during a timeout and my partner looked up at the scoreboard and said something like "lets try to even this up".

Last week I did a game and in pregame I told my partner (like 15 yrs of exp) that I don't really pay attention to fouls like that, I concentrate on my PCA and call whatever I see. He said something like "well if it's 10-1 on fouls, you can bet i'm going to find something.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you believe in "finding a foul" or just call what you see? I'm very confident in how I call my games but the HS game hasn't slowed down enough for me yet to get into all the things relating to the flow of the game and keeping fouls even. Thanks for your input. --JS
Look at some of the posts around this one, read them through, and then come back with another question.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Here's a recent thread that touches on your question. Wild and crazy night
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Here's a recent thread that touches on your question. Wild and crazy night
Thanks!