The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I got called in the morning of my son's LL game. The UIC knew I was a High School umpire and he really needed someone for that nights game. I told him I would do it, but he needed to let the other coach know that my son was on the opposing team. Not a problem the coach said....Well after 4 innings...my kid had a perfect game going....and i was making him hit a pie plate. Needless to say...a single in the 5th kept me from sleeping on the couch that night. But I must say...It was a joy to call pitches for my kid.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, Fed prohibits a father from umpiring any school his child attends, even if the child is not on any team. However, I did get away with one a couple of years ago and umpired my daughter's JV game.

At the junior high level, they look the other way and let teachers umpire their own school.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I umpired a practice game for my daughter softball team bout 4 years ago, she was 8. No biggie, did it with a mask only(BIG MISTAKE). Last pitch of the game I took one in the nads, now this was one of those "incredi-ball" softballs, the really soft ones, yeah right!!!

Seriously, I would not do it. I would not to even deal with any type of implied favortism and such. All it takes is one call, and you gonna be in big crap house... I'll sit in stands and enjoy my kids games.....
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dak1611
I got called in the morning of my son's LL game. The UIC knew I was a High School umpire and he really needed someone for that nights game. I told him I would do it, but he needed to let the other coach know that my son was on the opposing team. Not a problem the coach said....Well after 4 innings...my kid had a perfect game going....and i was making him hit a pie plate. Needless to say...a single in the 5th kept me from sleeping on the couch that night. But I must say...It was a joy to call pitches for my kid.
Have fun dak!

I call for my two sons who are 12 and 10, and it is a great feeling being out there when your oldest is pitching and your youngest is catching and you're behind the plate.

I had a thread out about this same situation you're in and I got mixed reviews. I am more than fair when calling my son's games, I probably hurt them more than help because I don't want to be even close to showing favoritism. But we are really short on officials here and I feel it is better to have a certified official out there than some parent who is not insured/certified calling LL games.

IMO, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY IT WHILE THEY'RE YOUNG!

One thing though, I don't go advertising they are my sons!

Coaches will always say, "sure, no problem" then do nothing but complain if/when they lose. I feel if it is authorized by your assigner or sports director, or whoever assigns you the game based on your integrity and capabilities, that is good enough for me!
Old Sun May 11, 2003, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

When my boys were in the Minors, the league used volunteers. I was asked many times, even by the opposing mgrs., to ump their games. They knew my reputation for fairness, and the game would be called the same for both teams.

Of course, the ride home was a "hoot". From the back seat, "How could you call that pitch a strike"? "How could you not swing at that pitch?" Luckily, we lived only about 10 minutes from the field. And at home, it continued while they were eating.

Bob