The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Rule change?

We usually discuss this about once each year, but I haven't seen it on the board for a while, so I thought I'd start it.

If you could change just one rule, what would it be and why? Please state the level, also - and try and keep it to just one rule at a time.

Here's my proposed NF change:

Eliminate the ability to inbound into the back court once the ball has been advanced to the front court.

If you accept the reasoning for having a back court violation rule in the first place, then why have an exception just because, for instance, the offensive team takes a timeout? If the reason for having the back court violation rule is to not allow teams to just use the entire court all the time because it takes away the theory that teams should be required to play aggressive offense (or whatever), then why allow an exception that just eliminates that reasoning?

I think that if you're going to allow teams to inbound into the back court in that instance, then you should eliminate the division line altogether. It should either be one way or the other, but not both, since that results in a contradiction of theory.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got two rules I want changed:
1. Take away the ability of coaches to request timeout from the bench.
2. Flip the arrow as soon as the thrower is handed the ball.

Now, because of your arbitrary decision that I can only change one rule, I'm going with the coach calling timeout. I think it will have greater impact on the game since I really can't remember a time when the AP throwin wasn't completed due to a foul or defensive violation.

Of course, as Bob is always quick to point out, the coaches will probably never lose this rule, so my choice isn't realistic.

If I had to choose one that is both reasonably possible and will have an impact: Move the players up one spot on free throws.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out

Easy: Change the time out rule back to what it was in the olden days, allowing only the players on the court to request a time out. The newer rule, allowing coaches to call time out, forces us to turn our attention away from the players, especially when coaches are calling time outs to avoid a turnover, like when their players are trapped, and likely to travel, or get a five second violation, meanwhile we're looking at pivot feet, possibly counting five seconds, and watching for fouls by either the defense, or the offense, and then hear "someone" yelling "time out" behind our backs.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
We usually discuss this about once each year, but I haven't seen it on the board for a while, so I thought I'd start it.

If you could change just one rule, what would it be and why? Please state the level, also - and try and keep it to just one rule at a time.

Eliminate the ability to inbound into the back court once the ball has been advanced to the front court.

If you accept the reasoning for having a back court violation rule in the first place, then why have an exception just because, for instance, the offensive team takes a timeout? If the reason for having the back court violation rule is to not allow teams to just use the entire court all the time because it takes away the theory that teams should be required to play aggressive offense (or whatever), then why allow an exception that just eliminates that reasoning?

I think that if you're going to allow teams to inbound into the back court in that instance, then you should eliminate the division line altogether. It should either be one way or the other, but not both, since that results in a contradiction of theory.
You cannot use the entire court the whole time because you still are required within 10 seconds to advance into the frontcourt.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS. Change the lower "block" on the free throw lane to a "dash". Or allow player closest to endline to stand on the current block...why such a big space for one spot?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
NFHS. Change the lower "block" on the free throw lane to a "dash". Or allow player closest to endline to stand on the current block...why such a big space for one spot?
If we shut down the lower block like NCAA, then I would want to see lane restrictions lifted on release.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 05:02pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
With more and more players inbounding under their basket and hanging out before going onto the court, I would like to see the penalty reduced to a violation from a technical. This was discussed at the last rules confab and will come up again this spring. They would have to make this an exception so that the other delays returning to the court keep the same penalty. This is why the change was not made this year. They did not want an exception.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mark, do you know that this is already the rule in FIBA?

Ciao
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
Mark, do you know that this is already the rule in FIBA?

Ciao

That might just get him to reconsider.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

I guess this "contradiction" doesn't seem that egregious to me, since it's there but it's expensive. THe cost of a TO seems reasonable.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I guess this "contradiction" doesn't seem that egregious to me, since it's there but it's expensive. THe cost of a TO seems reasonable.
Exactly. You are talking about 5 times maximum during a regulation game that a team could "buy back" the backcourt with a time-out.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
Exactly. You are talking about 5 times maximum during a regulation game that a team could "buy back" the backcourt with a time-out.
Yup, and as coach pointed out, they only get it for 10 seconds.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

In the first half I see no need to have the double bonus after the 10th foul.

Therefore, all common fouls beginning on the 7th team foul should be one and one.

I'd also like to see the clock stopped in the last minute of the 4th quarter after a made basket. However, I think this rule would create more problems than it is worth with a lot of timers not doing it properly/consistantly.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Timeouts called by coaches...

Make it the players on the floor so that we are not put in positions where we may have to divert our attention away from the play.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:23pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
What about having the NBA rule where inbounding into BC after achieving FC status is allowed only in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter/overtimes.

My rule change suggestion would be to adopt the NBA's last two minute rule for each half where if a team had 5 or fewer team fouls in a half, they would be over the limit on the second foul inside 2 minutes. I know this wasn't too popular last time I suggested it, but I still think it would be a good idea. Of course, it would just give something new to confuse other scorers who have no exposure to pro games.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sun Dec 16, 2007 at 11:09pm.