The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

It happened again...

There was a post earlier about Improper timeouts that I posted a situation I had: http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...97&postcount=2

Well...the same type of situation happened again today...you can read in detail here:

http://waytogogenius.com/?p=42

Basically...

The coach was screaming TIME TIME! Screaming it a lot. I didn't hear it...I either heard something else, or was in a zone...it got to the point that fans and players were all screaming TIME TIME as well. Not one time did I hear TIME OUT! Not once. My back was also to the coach so I could not see a signal. By the time I realized what he was saying, there was no possession and I couldn't give it to him.

His team steals the ball and I'm going back down to his side of court when he says "Time!" and signals with a T...I finally grant timeout as he is yelling at me that he called it 30 times before and I didn't give it to him. I told him that the word TIME sounds like a lot of other words, especially when being yelled and he needed to say Time-Out. He blew me off and went to his huddle.

I talked to my partner, who was trail and he said he did notice the coach calling for timeout.

Am I in the wrong here? I'm a little torn here...
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Somewhat, first, the "T" signal is a technical foul, so do not use that when granting a typeout. Just point to the bench when blowing your whistle.

Second, as you work games, you will become more aware of coaches, and aware of situations where a coach may want a timeout. For instance, when a team goes on a run, I start to look at the coach because I know that (good) coaches will want a timeout to get their team settled. If my partner has a trap in the corner, I will be aware that the coach may want a timeout, and put my antennas up., etc. Start thinking like a coach (just a little!) and be aware of those kinds of situations.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Somewhat, first, the "T" signal is a technical foul, so do not use that when granting a typeout. Just point to the bench when blowing your whistle.

Second, as you work games, you will become more aware of coaches, and aware of situations where a coach may want a timeout. For instance, when a team goes on a run, I start to look at the coach because I know that (good) coaches will want a timeout to get their team settled. If my partner has a trap in the corner, I will be aware that the coach may want a timeout, and put my antennas up., etc. Start thinking like a coach (just a little!) and be aware of those kinds of situations.
Great advice...thinking like a coach. I think that will help a lot.

I also should have been more clear...the coach made the "T" signal I'm not THAT new...lol
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
Great advice...thinking like a coach. I think that will help a lot.

I also should have been more clear...the coach made the "T" signal I'm not THAT new...lol
Actually, it was perfectly clear, apparently I can't read well.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 06:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
I talked to my partner, who was trail and he said he did notice the coach calling for timeout.
Did you ask your partner why he didn't grant the TO if he saw the request? He should have.

If you're in a situation where the closest official to the coach has his back to the coach, and a press/ball pressure will not allow that official to turn around and verify that it is the head coach actually calling the TO, then the official(s) away from the play should call the TO if they see the request.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Did you ask your partner why he didn't grant the TO if he saw the request? He should have.
This was my first thought, too. Why would you ignore the coach's request simply because you're not the closest official?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:17pm
9 times

Years agoI had a coach get mad at me for the same thing. I simply told him that he has 5 players on the court who are used to listening to his voice and anyone of them can get right in front of me to request the TO.

That being said, I would try and be a little more aware of what goes on outside the lines as well.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019