The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Time Out/Possession

A1 has the ball in her frontcourt and makes a bad pass to A2, who leaps from an in-bounds spot on the floor and corrals the ball in mid-air near the endline, heading out of bounds past the endline. Lead official (who happens to be table-side) hears an adult behind him begin yelling "time-out" while A2 is definitely still in the air. The official must continue to watch A2 to see if she in fact lands out of bounds, in bounds (and then violates), or attempts to "save" the ball back in-bounds. Meanwhile, the disembodied voice behind the Lead official continues to yell time-out.

A2 falls to the ground out of bounds. Lead official raises hand to stop the clock, turns and sees/hears A's head coach continuing to yell "time out!"

The Lead official is going to grant the confirmed time-out request. The question is, can it be granted "retroactively" to the out-of-bounds violation? The official did not know when it was requested whether or not it was the head coach (or even bench personnel as opposed to a fan!) who was yelling. But since the individual continued to make the request and it is confirmed that the head coach did indeed call it... it was requested before the OOB violation...

Just curious.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I could have simplified this by:
A1 has ball in her frontcourt, facing a tough defensive double-teamnear the sideline. Someone on A's bench yells "time-out!" just before (but clearly before) A1 travels. Trail raises hand to begin signalling travel violation, though he then realizes the head coach is the one who requested the time out. Who's ball?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you know the coach requested timeout before the violation, give it to him. It's no different than when we call timeout just a three point shot is released, or right after a steal, or just as the defense is tying the ball up. If the TO was requested while team was in control, give it to them; and give them the ball as well.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Makes sense, and the way I've been doing it. But I'm starting to get some better JV games, and before I have to make that decision in a situation where it could influence the outcome of a game I wanted just to make sure!