The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 06:04pm
Huck Finn

BearFan, I have really been giving you the business, but I seriously wish you the best. It takes a twisted soul to get on the court, put themselves on the spot and do what we do. Whether it be for the love of the game, exercise or making a buck, this is not for the faint of heart.
You may not get this until you finish tonight, but I hope all went well and you didn't screw things up royally. Jokes, Jokes! It probably went by so fast you will not remember it.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 07:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good To Remember

From Scrapper1: "Anticipate the play, not the call."

That's what we're taught on our board.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
BearFan, I have really been giving you the business, but I seriously wish you the best. It takes a twisted soul to get on the court, put themselves on the spot and do what we do. Whether it be for the love of the game, exercise or making a buck, this is not for the faint of heart.
You may not get this until you finish tonight, but I hope all went well and you didn't screw things up royally. Jokes, Jokes! It probably went by so fast you will not remember it.
Funny you should mention fast....

I knew that the speed from MS to HS would be faster.. but didn't realize how fast... It took me almost the whole first game to adjust.

Mistakes...

1. I kept signaling the wrong direction for pos. Not sure why.. I made sure I called out the right color but for some reason I'd signal the wrong way.

2. Called a block foul, but forgot to actually signal the block.

3. Missed a whistle on an out of bounds play. Just didn't blow it. Dont know why.

Other then that.. It was ok. I'm still having trouble distiguishing exacly if I should or shouldn't call a foul. I feel like I left alot of fouls out there. The ratio of fouls called between me and my partner was about 4 to 1 in his favor. Id like to think that people were just not fouling in my area, but I dont think that is the case.

All in all. A good learning experience and alot of things I still need to work on.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Funny you should mention fast....

I knew that the speed from MS to HS would be faster.. but didn't realize how fast... It took me almost the whole first game to adjust.

Mistakes...

1. I kept signaling the wrong direction for pos. Not sure why.. I made sure I called out the right color but for some reason I'd signal the wrong way.

2. Called a block foul, but forgot to actually signal the block.

3. Missed a whistle on an out of bounds play. Just didn't blow it. Dont know why.

Other then that.. It was ok. I'm still having trouble distiguishing exacly if I should or shouldn't call a foul. I feel like I left alot of fouls out there. The ratio of fouls called between me and my partner was about 4 to 1 in his favor. Id like to think that people were just not fouling in my area, but I dont think that is the case.

All in all. A good learning experience and alot of things I still need to work on.
2. This is not a huge deal, I have seen several high level officials who NEVER give a preliminary signal.

3. At least it stayed dry that trip

Assuming you were switching every time at least there was consistency with the foul calls...just takes time, no substitute for seeing situation after situation at game speed...
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Bearfan, I know what you're saying. I just started doing AAU HS level in the last few months and the 2 hardest things for me to adjust to was the speed and the physical play underneath. Oh, and the fact that they play 2-ft off the floor, too.

I remember when my first block/charge occurred (it was a charge), I had no idea how to do the mechanics for the call because I never had to make a charge call at MS level and below. I must've looked like a marionette trying to figure out that first charge signal, lol.

I still haven't done any actual HS varsity games (why put up with more aggravation and get home 2-3 hrs later for $5?) but I think I can relate. A hearty congrats on your first HS game.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
(why put up with more aggravation and get home 2-3 hrs later for $5?)
I"ll tell you why: IT'S MORE FUN!!

Don't you think so, Mike?
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

Don't you think so, Mike?
More exercise thats for sure.

I think both are fun in their own way. Much better Basketball play on the hs level obviously but I think no matter how high up I get.. I think I will make sure I still do some ms games.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by kblehman
(why put up with more aggravation and get home 2-3 hrs later for $5?)
Quote:
I remember when I first started and I was doing kids' tournaments and MS games. I was talking with a couple of buddies who'd been officiating for years and I mentioned that I didn't really care if I ever do varsity. They both replied, "yes you do" and claimed that JV and varsity games are easier to call. Of course, being a rookie I didn't know what they meant at the time, but now that I've worked up to the JV level I completely understand.

The kids' games are like soccer scrums, all the action takes place right around the key, making it difficult to clearly spot violations and fouls (unless you're a parent in that 5th row.) In a HS game the floor is spread out more, plus they can actually control the ball.

So I understand what you're saying, rainmaker. But my daughter is a point guard on her freshman team (MI AAU runner-up last year, if I may gloat!), which means I'm watching her play twice a week and officiating the other 3 nights. For now I'd rather get home to my family by 8pm than roll in at 10:30. Besides, my 3-man experience is limited to 2 clinics and 2 tournaments.

I figure if I do my best to get better at the Fr and JV level and someone eventually sees that I'm ready for varsity, they'll let me know. Otherwise, I'm in no hurry.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 05:35pm
Huck Finn

Part of officiating should be integrity and I've seen this many times. Assume the following:

1. An official wants to get better
2. An official is ready to do high school varsity
3. An official is given the choice between a varsity game and a middle school game - the official chooses the varsity game.

If those three things were true for you then yes, you do want to do higher level basketball. Period. The end. It is finished. Stop saying otherwise.

Juulie is right, it is more fun.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 06:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Part of officiating should be integrity and I've seen this many times. Assume the following:

1. An official wants to get better
2. An official is ready to do high school varsity
3. An official is given the choice between a varsity game and a middle school game - the official chooses the varsity game.

If those three things were true for you then yes, you do want to do higher level basketball. Period. The end. It is finished. Stop saying otherwise.

Juulie is right, it is more fun.
I'm at a point of my career (I'm 38 and I started a month after my 18th birthday calling MS/FR games) where I don't work anything but varsity games (it's not that I wouldn't, but I have a young child and I've decided to either work the V game or stay home), and threads like this remind me why some people prefer sticking to lower levels. The expectations are lower and there are fewer people really watching you.

But:

Personally, I find it easier to call varsity games. They're more predictable in every sense of the word. When I actually need to provide game management/control, I have the skills and experience, but many nights are routine, and that's fun in its own way. And I don't need to leave work/home early.

And having a band playing pregame and an anthem is addictive

Off to do a girls game I picked up on Wednesday. God bless snow makeups when I actually want to work.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Or, if he's married, he can ask the wife for her opinion. Just remind her the stripes are mandatory.
Quote:
....and black socks and shoes.
Um, don't forget the pants, hmmm? PLEASE.......