The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   entering the court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40248-entering-court.html)

fullor30 Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:06pm

entering the court

Did a lower game tonight as favor to assignor and talent level was pretty weak. As a result my partner and I got sloppy. After timeout ball is inbounded and B only has four players on the court( I told you were were sloppy). Play goes on for a 5-10 seconds and the fifth player runs out onto the court.

I called a T on team B. Right or wrong?

Just the ruling please............other circumstances were in play on this one

JugglingReferee Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Did a lower game tonight as favor to assignor and talent level was pretty weak. As a result my partner and I got sloppy. After timeout ball is inbounded and B only has four players on the court( I told you were were sloppy). Play goes on for a 5-10 seconds and the fifth player runs out onto the court.

Right. Coaches are ultimately responsible for substitutions.

fullor30 Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Right. Coaches are ultimately responsible for substitutions.

Can you cite the ruling? I have a few cold ones on this one.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:19pm

Quote:

Right. See Interp #12

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Right. See Interp #12

As bob let you know this ruling is in this year's NFHS interpretations which are currently posted on the website. So it should be fairly easy for you to win your bet. :)

http://www.nfhs.org/web/2007/10/2007...s_interpr.aspx

truerookie Tue Dec 11, 2007 08:19am

Quote:

Can you cite the ruling? I have a few cold ones on this one.

10-1-9; 10-3-3

PYRef Tue Dec 11, 2007 08:52am

In a lower level game, if I was getting sloppy and didn't pay attention, I wouldn't be calling a T in this sitch. Actually, even if I wasn't getting sloppy, I wouldn't call the T. Unless you could detrmine it was an intentional act designed by the coach to give them an advantage.
It isn't the state championship game, let it go.

fullor30 Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYRef
In a lower level game, if I was getting sloppy and didn't pay attention, I wouldn't be calling a T in this sitch. Actually, even if I wasn't getting sloppy, I wouldn't call the T. Unless you could detrmine it was an intentional act designed by the coach to give them an advantage.

As I mentioned other circumstances were in play. It was the right call at the right time.

Scooby Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:15am

T is OK though I might let them play on.

fullor30 Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
T is OK though I might let them play on.

As I mentioned other circumstances were in play. It was the right call at the right time.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:28am

Quote:

I hate this philosophy. What happens when a team gets to the state championship? Do they then play by a whole different set of rules? Will they be prepared to play by those rules?

The rules are the rules. Just enforce them and move on.

rainmaker Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:39am

Quote:

As I mentioned other circumstances were in play.

Sheez, fullor you keep saying that, and now I'm curious, what other circumstances. Enquiring minds what to know!!

PYRef Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31pm

Quote:

If "it was the right call at the right time", then why are you on here asking "right or wrong".
You don't want our opinion, look the ruling up yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BITS
I hate this philosophy. What happens when a team gets to the state championship? Do they then play by a whole different set of rules? Will they be prepared to play by those rules?

The rules are the rules. Just enforce them and move on.

Not hardly. He said this was a lower level game. How low? That is a key point. I hear some people on here talk about calling a 5th grade game as strict as a D1 tournament. You can't just enforce the rules the same way in that level of game.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57pm

Quote:

If "it was the right call at the right time", then why are you on here asking "right or wrong".
You don't want our opinion, look the ruling up yourself.

He meant that whatever call he made was right for the game, even IF it wasn't right by the rules. He wants (or wanted) to know whether it was ALSO right by the rules.

PYRef Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
He meant that whatever call he made was right for the game, even IF it wasn't right by the rules.

:eek: :eek: :eek: What!!! God forbid he should do that in a state championship!