View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Best missed game check ever

With the unfortunate cancer stories floating around in the community lately, I thought I'd share this story. I don't know all of the specifics, but we have an official in our area that has been battling cancer. He had to take last year off due to this, and originally thought at the beginning of the season he'd be back, so he accepted some game assignments. Things went downhill for him, and he ended up cancelling; with me taking over most of his schedule.

I was supposed to work Thursday for him, when I received a call Thursday morning from the school's AD, saying that the official had called that morning, saying he felt great and that his doctor had cleared him to work if he wanted to. The AD then asked me if it was all right if the guy worked the games that evening. Well what the heck could I say?

I immediately agreed, excited that he could come back. I didn't make it to the games, but I guess he did well, and we're going to get in contact about possibly splitting up the rest of his former schedule that I was put into. He didn't think he could get back into all of them, but he can have what he wants. The dollars out of my pocket vs. him getting back into what he loves is more than a square trade.

For all of you battling this terrible stuff, keep fighting. I hope this story brings a little good karma to all of you and your families.