The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a 7th / 8th DH yesterday and I was the R in the 8th grade game. At 1 min before the half was supposed to start, the visiting team (B) was no where to be found. The table hammers the horn....perhaps longer than usual. No visitors. So...Home team (A) breaks huddle and is ready...still no team B. I signal the table to sound the horn again. It's gonna be A's ball and they're ready. Finally right at the point where I have A1 in position across from the table to throw in for A...Team B walks in.

NF 7.5.1 (Somewhat paraphrased) A Specific procedure is used to prevent delay in resuming play following a time out or the intermission between any quarters. The timer will sound the warning and final signal. The admin official will then sound a whistle to indicate play will resume.

Ok...we did all that. My problem was the absent team was to be on defense. My partner wanted me to T Team B. I didnt....read on.

7.5.1 Section A Says: The Ball shall be put into play f Team A is ready or it shall be placed on the floor.

Ok...If we did that....it could lead to chaos. Team B running in...too many bodies on the floor....etc. etc. Ugliness.

Here is what I did...I thought.."Ok...preventative officiating"...I hustled B along and as soon as they had 5 bodies on the floor which was pretty quickly, I hit my whistle and made the ball avail to A.

Other questions:

B is not there and you T them. Is it direct on the coach or just a team tech? How many T's? One? Example...you Call a T on B...who isnt there...and then what...wait? Do you go ahead and award the throws in B's absense? Do you make the ball avail to A and let them run 1 play?

Anyone have this problem? How did you handle? Please give me a more specific procedure NF reference for this case.

Larks - VIT

Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Try 10.1.9 "Comment"

"...start the second half unless either team is not on the court. In that case regular delay provisions are in force."

In other words, charge the team T for delay if they aren't on the court one minute after the half is supposed to begin.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

See case book sitch 2.4.4 and rule 7-5-1.

BANG! Whack 'em. Charge it to the team, no indirect on the coach. (rule book, page 73)

If the whole B team is on the floor, a little preventitive officiating should take care of it, and tell 'em to get it moving. If coach A starts hollering for the T, well, you're on your own You could argue either case, I guess

Of course, if B continues to delay, you could threaten to (and inforce ) forfeit the game, but that could be stretchin' it!
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

With one minute left on the clock and a team hasn't returned, I will go get them.
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I know that MS leagues sometimes use their own provisions for halftime, so this may not apply. But did you consider 2-12-1:

TIMERS DUTIES
The timers shall:
ART. 1 . . . Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified, at least three minutes before the half is to start.

If you did a full halftime, did anyone notify the teams at the three minute mark so that they would be ready to play?
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 05:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Some questions...did you find out if the team had been notified that the clock was running down? Also, what do you mean by 1 min. before the half is to start??? Is there still one minute on the half-time clock? Or is the clock at zero?? Rule 10-1-5-a says they have one minute AFTER the half-time clock hits 0:00 before they have to be ready...
Old Tue Feb 05, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

My little bit of preventative officiating is at 2:00, I ask the table if they notified the team. At 1:30, I go looking for the team myself. Technically it is our responsibility to get them.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

It's the referee's rsponsibility to make sure each team is notified 3 minutes prior to the beginning of the second half. (2-4-4) Did you do that?

Also, as rocky staed, the team has one minute to get on the floor after the halftime intermission is over.

Considering everything, your course of action was best.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's the referee's rsponsibility to make sure each team is notified 3 minutes prior to the beginning of the second half. (2-4-4) Did you do that?

Also, as rocky staed, the team has one minute to get on the floor after the halftime intermission is over.

Considering everything, your course of action was best.
No, we did not chase them at 3:00. Sounds like all things considered, the result was good. Next time I will warn them at 3:00 and then if they delay....WHACK.

Good Feedback and references everybody.

Larks