The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation I can run but I can't hide

I was at the pharmacy today (yes, I really do take real meds) when someone I recognized got in line behind me. It was a guy who has coached at least three of his sons in a competitive rec league in this area. We nodded at each other and then he told me how happy he was to see me because he wanted to tell me about an official who "screwed up" and "cost them a game" last weekend during a tournament. It was 8th grade boys. I didn't want to get out of line, so I pretended to listen.

He told me his team had a one point lead with 5 seconds to go when an opponent took a shot from the baseline. The shot didn't hit anything and the same kid caught the ball. The kid then flipped it over his head off the glass and in, just as the horn sounded to win the game. The coach said he couldn't believe the referee didn't call the "travel" which would have given his team the ball back and probably the game. He said he rushed onto the court, yelled and screamed at the referee, and was subsequently told by game management he was suspended for the one game they had left that day.

He "knows" that if they won that game they would have won the championship game and taken home the trophy. He said that official "cost them the championship" and his boys would have to live with that the rest of their lives.

It was about all I could do to keep from puking on his shoes right then and there. I asked him how he would feel if I told him the official did not blow the call and that there is no violation for that under HS rules as long as it was an actual shot attempt. At first he didn't believe me. I asked him if in the over 10 years I had been working his games if he ever knew me to be wrong on a rule interpretation? He just stared and shook his head from side to side. His jaw actually dropped.

The pharmacist then called my number and that ended the conversation. When I left a few minutes later, he was still muttering under his breath and shaking his head.

I hope he lives with that "the rest of his life".
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
so I pretended to listen.
Here's the part I need to try and perfect!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
because he wanted to tell me about an official who "screwed up" and "cost them a game" last weekend during a tournament. It was 8th grade boys. I didn't want to get out of line, so I pretended to listen.

He told me his team had a one point lead with 5 seconds to go when an opponent took a shot from the baseline. The shot didn't hit anything and the same kid caught the ball. The kid then flipped it over his head off the glass and in, just as the horn sounded to win the game. The coach said he couldn't believe the referee didn't call the "travel" which would have given his team the ball back and probably the game. He said he rushed onto the court, yelled and screamed at the referee, and was subsequently told by game management he was suspended for the one game they had left that day.

He "knows" that if they won that game they would have won the championship game and taken home the trophy.
That's some pretty good "pretend" listening!
Quote:
He said that official "cost them the championship" and his boys would have to live with that the rest of their lives.
They also have to live for the rest of their lives, with the recollection of a coach who couldn't teach them how to take responsibility for their own wins and losses.
Quote:
It was about all I could do to keep from puking on his shoes right then and there.
But the real question is, did you stare at his pants?
Quote:
The pharmacist then called my number and that ended the conversation.
Good timing!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He told me his team had a one point lead with 5 seconds to go when an opponent took a shot from the baseline. The shot didn't hit anything and the same kid caught the ball. The kid then flipped it over his head off the glass and in, just as the horn sounded to win the game.
I'd have asked the coach why his team wasn't playing defense at the end of a close game.

Just me . . .
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 10:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I'd have asked the coach why his team wasn't playing defense at the end of a close game.

Just me . . .
Box out and the kid doesn't get his second shot. Not just you.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

And if they'd shot better than 23% during the game, their lead would not have been so slim at the buzzer...