Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Waving your hands is not one of the 38 official NFHS signals.

You're going to Hell.
Look at the good news, Rut, you'll be able to ref with Jurassic.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have been told at several clinics and association meetings that a whistle should sound at the end of every quarter, and that it should be accompanied by on open hand, just like a violation. The only exception would be to wave-off or count the basket, in which case the appropriate signal should go with the whistle.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Sue me.
Worse. I told Nevada.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Worse. I told Nevada.
OMG!!!!!

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 04:52pm
Official & Member

You're going to Hell.

That's funny. I always wondered what happened if you used unapproved mecahanics.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
I blow the whistle every time (when I am responsible for this). I have never been involved in a big discussion about this one way or another. I believe most people I work with also blow the whistle.

Peace
During our pregame, my partner and I go over who watches the clock at the end of the period, depending on the situation (where the ball is at etc). We also use a signal to remind each other who is doing what. Whoever has the clock, blows there whistle at the end of the quarter.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Look at the good news, Rut, you'll be able to ref with Jurassic.
Alright, GAW, you owe me a new screen!!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial
During our pregame, my partner and I go over who watches the clock at the end of the period, depending on the situation (where the ball is at etc). We also use a signal to remind each other who is doing what. Whoever has the clock, blows there whistle at the end of the quarter.
I thin the horn is so you don't have to watch the clock and you can watch the action on the court.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I blow the whistle every time (when I am responsible for this). I have never been involved in a big discussion about this one way or another. I believe most people I work with also blow the whistle.

Peace
_________

What Rut said!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Also when the quarter is over, I also wave my hands to signify the quarter, half or game is over.
An official who does these unnecessary and showy things gives the impression that he wants to make sure that everyone sees him. He wants to be the center of attention. It's indicative of having a big ego.
Also most people who engage in this are football officials who can't mentally separate the different sports.

My opinion about how to handle this properly was expressed by Scrapper and also appears in a recent thread on the NFHS forum.

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=11;t=001577
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Waving your hands is not one of the 38 official NFHS signals.

You're going to Hell.
Diet Pepsi burns like you wouldn't believe when it comes squirting out your nose!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
An official who does these unnecessary and showy things gives the impression that he wants to make sure that everyone sees him. He wants to be the center of attention. It's indicative of having a big ego.
Also most people who engage in this are football officials who can't mentally separate the different sports.
I blow at the end of every quarter. I also blow on incoming subs and all throw-ins from the end line in front court. But you're wrong. Very, very wrong. I have a little tiny "ego," practically microscopic, and my unnecessary and showy whistle blowing is my way of compensating. Kind of like driving a really fast car or a great big pickup truck. Or getting a law degree.

Like Grail I was taught to use a simple stop the clock signal, unless I'm actually waiving off a shot.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I blow at the end of every quarter. I also blow on incoming subs and all throw-ins from the end line in front court.
Why do you feel the need to employ NCAA womens mechanics in an NFHS game?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to employ NCAA womens mechanics in an NFHS game?
It has a lot to do with that around here many of the summer officiating camps, including those put on by the UHSAA, are run by a former D1 women's official and current college assigner, and his second-in-command, so to speak, at these camps is a current women's official. When in Rome...

Oddly enough, this clinician is the same person who introduced me to the phrase, "The whistle is an irritant." He obviously finds no contradiction between that statement and requiring a whistle on all subs, etc.

In my experience, whistling in any of these situations (end of quarter, subs, end line throw-in) does not draw attention to the referee at all. It merely draws attention to the situation. And if somebody sometime looks to the referee to see what the whistle is about, what will he see the referee doing? Pretty much exactly what you'd expect the referee to do in that situation: brining in a sub, administering a throw-in, etc. Pretty showy, huh?

I can truthfully say that I've never had a partner, evaluator, coach, player, fan, AD, PA announcer, bookkeeper, trumpt player, grandmother in the third row, or hot dog vendor make any comment whatsoever about my having a whistle in one of these situations. So it can't be drawing too much undue attention.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or, the person is following the standard in his / her area and to do otherwise would be drawing attention to himself.

Quote:
Support, please.

IOW:

1) It's not covered in the FED mechanics book

2) Reasonable people can disagree on what "should" be done.

3) Different areas have different "reasonable people" in charge

4) So, different areas do it differently.

5) You're entitled to your opinion.

6) As for the rest of it, KITFO.
Closed Thread