Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If that is the concern, I have never had that problem in all the years I have been officiating.
You're probably right, in that confusion is not a huge worry. But the whistle is also not necessary, since the horn has already signified the end of the period.

I think this is probably a tomato/tomahto thing.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:35pm
Esteemed Participant

You will not find anything about it in the NFHS manuals. It's a commonly accepted practice (at least around here) but it is not in the books anywhere. I think the only ruleset that addresses having a whistle at the end of every period is NCAA-W.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
You will not find anything about it in the NFHS manuals. It's a commonly accepted practice (at least around here) but it is not in the books anywhere. I think the only ruleset that addresses having a whistle at the end of every period is NCAA-W.
I must have misread something. There is actually a practice that is accepted that is not addressed in the NFHS Manual? Someone is going to be very upset that you said this.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I must have misread something. There is actually a practice that is accepted that is not addressed in the NFHS Manual? Someone is going to be very upset that you said this.

Peace
Yeah...where is Nevada today?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also when the quarter is over, I also wave my hands to signify the quarter, half or game is over.
Peace
But isn't that why we have a horn blow? If we blow the whistle every time, why not just do away with the horn? I don't know, it just seems redundant to me.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:06pm
PYRef

We blow the whistle to end every quarter. Yes, we use NCAAW rules but we also tell the girls to play the whistle, not the horn. Just to prevent any confusion, the whistle goes also.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk
But isn't that why we have a horn blow? If we blow the whistle every time, why not just do away with the horn? I don't know, it just seems redundant to me.
It acts as just one final clarifier that the period has ended...that there is no "continuation" of a shot, no foul, no anything...not sure how you would do away with a horn, that is how they make 'em!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The horn lets everyone know a shot cannot be completed. The horn does not automatically end anything. The horn might sound and you still have to put time on the clock or you could have something else take place or have a penalty enforced. For example I called an intentional foul near the end of the game. My whistle was almost simultaneous with the horn. The official responsible for the last second shot told me the horn went off first and that my foul was technically after the horn. I had already given a signal for the Intentional Foul and I was not paying attention to the horn. We got together and we decided the quarter was over and the foul was not going to change the outcome of the game (10 point win). We blew the whistle and waved our hands to the table and we walked off. If we have just relied on the horn and the game was closer where FTs would have made a difference, we still would have had to shoot FTs and the game would not be over until all the FTs were completed. The horn does not end the game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:33pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Don't know about Jayhawkland, but here in Washington State the girls HS has a 30 second shot clock, so there are lots of horns during games. The players are taught to play to the whistle, not necessarily the horn as there are usually several (sometimes LOTS) of wrong shot-clock horns. That's why we have a whistle along with the horn at the end of each period.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
It acts as just one final clarifier that the period has ended...that there is no "continuation" of a shot, no foul, no anything...not sure how you would do away with a horn, that is how they make 'em!
I understand and agree, I'm just arguing against the need to blow it EVERY time we have an end of qtr/half. I guess I meant to infer that it goes without saying that you blow the whistle and wave off a shot that may be close.

What if the winning team just inbounds the ball with five seconds left in the game/qtr and stands alone in the backcourt and lets time expire. What good does a whistle do in that scenario?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

At least in my area (D/FW, Texas) its recommended the official who's responsible for the clock blows the whistle to end the quarter. I've been told this at multiple camps. Maybe we just like blowing the whistle, judging by the previous 'entering the court whistle' thread.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand and agree, I'm just arguing against the need to blow it EVERY time we have an end of qtr/half. I guess I meant to infer that it goes without saying that you blow the whistle and wave off a shot that may be close.

What if the winning team just inbounds the ball with five seconds left in the game/qtr and stands alone in the backcourt and lets time expire. What good does a whistle do in that scenario?
Doesn't do any "good" necessarily, but blowing it EVERY time just gives you consistency...I can't really argue that this practice is absolutely, 100% necessary, it is just another one of "those things" that I and many others have made habit, it doesn't hurt/hinder the game, and there are ocassions where it helps....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I would only say that in a HS game you have 4 times (unless you live in Minnesota) to have last second shots. At least 3 of those times consistency have an attempt to shoot a shot near or at the buzzer. And it is not just about the shot that is committed, it is also the put backs. Blowing the whistle in my opinion makes it clear all the action is over and it supplements the horn. Are there times when the whistle might not be need? Of course, but I blow the whistle every time to at the very least acknowledge I heard the horn and I know the quarter/half/game is over.

Quote:
I blow the whistle and wave off any other action.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also when the quarter is over, I also wave my hands to signify the quarter, half or game is over.
Waving your hands is not one of the 38 official NFHS signals.

You're going to Hell.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Sue me.

Peace
Closed Thread