LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Brad, good advice on the "what I would do next time". So
you T'ed B for an excessive TO, who on B did you charge
the TO to?
It's a TEAM technical --not charged to any individual, or as an indirect to the coach.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Brad:

Every sport in which officials use whistles have procedures for dealing with inadvertant whistles. Why? Because officials are human (no, really we are coaches!)

Whether or not that procedure is "fair" usually depends on which color uniform you wear. But it is still a good idea to go with what the rule book says, regardless of how "fair" it seems. At that point you have already made a mistake, best not to double it by trying to make up for the initial inadvertant whistle.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 06:24pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

the TO to?

We did not issue the technical. My partner did not know who had called timeout and I didn't see anyone call it either (I also didn't blow my whistle )...

We went with the inadvertant whistle option, which, by rule, is correct... It just really, really didn't feel right.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 06:30pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Whether or not that procedure is "fair" usually depends on which color uniform you wear. But it is still a good idea to go with what the rule book says, regardless of how "fair" it seems. At that point you have already made a mistake, best not to double it by trying to make up for the initial inadvertant whistle.

I understand what you are saying -- and you make very valid points. However, I still think that I would NOT do what I did next time.

At certain points in our career we encounter situations like this -- sometimes we have to do what is "right". It's happened to many officials, especially at the higher levels. I don't think that this means setting aside rules on a regular basis, or even in general. But sometimes I think that we'll have situations which call for a little injection of common sense versus being a black-and-white official.

I'll give you an example -- a veteran NCAA official (I'll exclude the name to protect the innocent, but you'd know who he was) talked about a D1 game that he had in which the teams were being very aggressive and physical. After several fouls/hard fouls/etc. he actually stopped the game and sent both teams to their benches.

He told the coaches that this was a "cool down" timeout and that they should come out with a "different" game.

Is that within the rules, not hardly. However, it worked.

Can you do that in every game? Of course not, and I think that this is the only time it happened to him, but it's an interesting story and makes a good point.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Do this near the end of game..

If you know that the gym is loud, and anticipate the possiblity of this happening. Talk to the coaches about being VERY vocal about calling timeout, because if you or any of your co-officials can't hear it, it won't be granted. Seems to have saved me a few times.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 07:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You learned something!!!!

jbduke,

You just made a mistake and in the end you will be better for that mistake. We are all expected to be perfect no matter how long you have been officiating. You know the secret, we all make them regardless of experience.

Pick yourself up and get back out there and do it again. I bet you will not be making that mistake again.

Look, I worked the other night with two officials that have hardly done 3 person games at all. Well not only did they do a pretty good job, I had a terrible game in the process. They made mistakes, we were not all on the same page at time, and it was on of the biggest rival for both teams. Many things appeared to go wrong, but we got through them. Emotions were high, we gave one T and we moved on. And the home team hit the winning bucket after winning most of the game but losing it with under a minute to go.

In the end I was disappointed with my performance, but the game was not changed by the many communication break downs that tend to happen by us on the floor.

I will have to move on, and so will you. We have to be like the NFL cornerbacks, maintain a short memory. We are only as good as the last call we made.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 07:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Here's the Davism on fair

Quote:
Originally posted by PaREF
Brad:
But it is still a good idea to go with what the rule book says, regardless of how "fair" it seems.
Howler monkey: But that's not fair.

Davism: Coach, that's the rule. You want fair - call Judge Judy.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
the TO to?
It's a TEAM technical --not charged to any individual, or as an indirect to the coach.
I didn't ask who the T was charged to (I know it's a TEAM
T), I asked who the TO was charged to (ie "Full timeout, 33
blue"). I misread Brad's response & thought he gave the
TO & the T.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
the TO to?

We did not issue the technical. My partner did not know who had called timeout and I didn't see anyone call it either (I also didn't blow my whistle )...

We went with the inadvertant whistle option, which, by rule, is correct... It just really, really didn't feel right.
Got it, thanks.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: You learned something!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

I had a terrible game in the process. They made mistakes, we were not all on the same page at time, and it was on of the biggest rival for both teams. Many things appeared to go wrong, but we got through them.
In the end I was disappointed with my performance, but the game was not changed by the many communication break downs that tend to happen by us on the floor.

I will have to move on, and so will you. We have to be like the NFL cornerbacks, maintain a short memory. We are only as good as the last call we made.

Peace
Rut,

As a long time official and college observer once told someone after they had a game like you did, CASH THE CHECK AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE!