The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 06:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

I was talking with my partner during halftime the other night and he commented that as he worked more over the years, the number of technicals he gives out each year has gone down. He wasn't referring to Ts for delay, administrative, etc., but for true unsportsmanlike conduct by both players and coaches.

It got me thinking if the same was true for me. I reflected on my career and decided that in my very early years, I was reluctant to call them somewhat, but after about my third year, I had the confidence that my judgment was good enough to call them if necessary. However, the past few years, my average per season has gone down. I think that's mostly because most of the coaches in the leagues I work, know me, and they have learned not to give me any crap (not necessarily because I have gotten better)

I really can't remember specific numbers of technicals before last season, when I actually started noting them in my PDA, but last season, based on the number of games I did (132 - which was really low for me compared to prior years) and how many so far this season (as of this minute - I say that because I have 3 more later today after 3 I did this morning - 45), my "T average" was 20.5% last year (27 Ts) and 15.6% so far this season (7 Ts).

Anyone else want to venture a guess on theirs? I suppose you could state this as a probablility number as to the likelihood of whether you will call a T in a game or not.

This really has no scientific basis, but you can use it to draw conclusions about your ability to maintain control of your games - or not.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Because I give so many, and in case I ever need to give my side of the story for an ejection (which is an "indefinate" suspension in my league - generally until you talk with the director), I keep track of flagrant and technical fouls which I call.

This season, I gave out 26 technical fouls. Of those 26, one was for an excess timeout, two were for jewelry (league rule), and three were for grabbing the rim before a game (something which I have since been told to ignore) - leaving me with 20 "called" technical fouls.

I called 32 men's games, 3 women's games, and 3 co-rec games. All 20 of my "real" technical fouls were in men's games, which averages out to .63 technical fouls per game. I could see the percentage of games in which I called a technical foul, but that would require going into two different documents and comparing numbers.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Technical foul average

I find it very interesting in reading how many technicals are called by all of you. I have officiated varsity contests for 10 years now and have yet to "T" up a coach. I called my first non administrative "T" last week on a player. I would say that I call maybe five techs. per season on players. I don't know how to explain it other than when we see a foul we call it and all of our games are under control from the tap until the final horn. I guess when I see an item on this forum regarding how many fouls are seen and not called perhaps that can be a factor in creating frustration in the mind of the players and leading to improper behavior on their part and the part of the bench. When the players and coaches see us as their officials they know that fouls will be called and that we are willing to stay as long as it takes for the players to play "basketball".
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Joe. I forgot to mention that I work intramurals .

Makes for LOTS more T's!!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am definitely calling fewer T's as my officiating career progresses. 4 or 5 years ago I won the TV that our association gives out for the most T's in a season. Before today's games I called 4 for the season. Interestingly enough, all 4 of them were called at the same school but against the visiting teams. All of those teams were from the Portland area(sorry Mark P.). It just makes me wonder whether you city guys let them slide more on language and behavior or what. Today I gave my first non Portland area T but it was an administrative T for only 4 players returning to the floor to start the 4th quarter. I got the AP arrow issue right this time.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
I am definitely calling fewer T's as my officiating career progresses. 4 or 5 years ago I won the TV that our association gives out for the most T's in a season. Before today's games I called 4 for the season. Interestingly enough, all 4 of them were called at the same school but against the visiting teams. All of those teams were from the Portland area(sorry Mark P.). It just makes me wonder whether you city guys let them slide more on language and behavior or what. Today I gave my first non Portland area T but it was an administrative T for only 4 players returning to the floor to start the 4th quarter. I got the AP arrow issue right this time.
Your association gives out a television??!?!!???

Wouldn't that encourage refs to give technicals?

Ref: Technical foul - blue coach.
Coach: What was that for?
Ref: Nothing, really - I just want a new TV for my den!
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
I'd just T both teams for not having their starters checked, they cancel out, no shoots, no one really get's penalized

Tyler
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Today I gave my first non Portland area T but it was an administrative T for only 4 players returning to the floor to start the 4th quarter. I got the AP arrow issue right this time.
Please explain.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 02, 2002, 11:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I feel like a failure when I give on.

I make a huge effort to not give a T at all. If I can handle the situation without resorting to that, I try to do that. It might not be everyone's way, but that is the way I look at it.

I look at Ts for the most part as failures. If I had to give one, it is because I did not do something. At least that is how I feel.

Tonite, I had a game that had a supposed stud on the visiting team. I guess everyone treats him like he is a superstar, but "I am not the one" as they say. So Mr. Superstar thinks he can say anything in any tone to me or my partners. Well I confront the kid and basically tell him that he needs to show some respect, and what he is complaining about is not going to be tolerated. Well, I was trying to give him a break instead of just giving a T for something that could be handled by the coach.

So the first opportunity I go to his coach and say this. "I will say this to you and say this to you once, number 23 is a child the last time I checked, and he will show me respect if he wants to still be on the floor. Now I am telling you this so you can handle it. If you cannot, then I will."

The coach agreed and we had no other incident the rest of the game.

Now in my opinion, if I did not give the coach the opportunity to handle it, it would have been precieved as I was picking on him or that I had a short fuse. But I wanted the coach to be givin a chance to handle it, and in the end he did.

Now I realize that everyone does not agree with this, but I feel like the coach cannot say that I gave him an opportunity to teach his kids. At least that is what many of them complain that officials do not do around here.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I am talking about conduct Ts, not just Ts that have to do with the book or anything that is obvious that cannot be ignored like 6 players on the court or reaching thru the plane and touching a player. That is not what I am talking about here.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Re: I feel like a failure when I give on.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JRutledge
I make a huge effort to not give a T at all. If I can handle the situation without resorting to that, I try to do that. It might not be everyone's way, but that is the way I look at it.

I look at Ts for the most part as failures. If I had to give one, it is because I did not do something. At least that is how I feel.

Tonite, I had a game that had a supposed stud on the visiting team. I guess everyone treats him like he is a superstar, but "I am not the one" as they say. So Mr. Superstar thinks he can say anything in any tone to me or my partners. Well I confront the kid and basically tell him that he needs to show some respect, and what he is complaining about is not going to be tolerated. Well, I was trying to give him a break instead of just giving a T for something that could be handled by the coach.

So the first opportunity I go to his coach and say this. "I will say this to you and say this to you once, number 23 is a child the last time I checked, and he will show me respect if he wants to still be on the floor. Now I am telling you this so you can handle it. If you cannot, then I will."

The coach agreed and we had no other incident the rest of the game.

Now in my opinion, if I did not give the coach the opportunity to handle it, it would have been precieved as I was picking on him or that I had a short fuse. But I wanted the coach to be givin a chance to handle it, and in the end he did.

Now I realize that everyone does not agree with this, but I feel like the coach cannot say that I gave him an opportunity to teach his kids. At least that is what many of them complain that officials do not do around here.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I am talking about conduct Ts, not just Ts that have to do with the book or anything that is obvious that cannot be ignored like 6 players on the court or reaching thru the plane and touching a player. That is not what I am talking about here.

Peace
[/QUOTE

Yes, I have some thoughts.

The Coach can have an opportunity to teach his kids sportsmanship and how to address an official in practice!

I am not going to go whine to a coach that a player is not treating me with respect. When I am administering a game the players will go by my rules of conduct. (Do you really think some of these "howler monkeys" can teach proper sportsmanship with the way they act?)

Secondly, I am much more apt to T a kid up for conduct than I am for him being the 6th player on the floor after a time out. In fact just that happened to me the other day. 6 players on the court after a time out. I told one of them to get off the court. (H.S. boys game) Also, had a player with a rubber band on his wrist, even after I had told him to take it off in warm ups. Didn't T him up, just told him to take it off...he did and that was that.

If the Coach thinks I am "picking on him" because his kid is acting disrespectful and gets a T...Tough!

RookieDude
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Today I gave my first non Portland area T but it was an administrative T for only 4 players returning to the floor to start the 4th quarter. I got the AP arrow issue right this time.
Please explain.
I blew my whistle to start the 4th quarter and the visiting team only had 4 players return to the floor and ready to play. I put the ball down, went over to the bench and reported the T. No biggie, no complaints. The AP issue was referring to something that came up a few weeks ago where I blew the AP call after a T. This time the home team had the AP to start the 4th quarter. The throw in for the T trumped the home team's AP for the 4th quarter. I told the scorer's table that the home team would have the next AP arrow.

By the way, we don't really get a TV for the most T's. It's been kind of a standing joke in our association at least in the 13 years I've been officiating.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way, we don't really get a TV for the most T's. It's been kind of a standing joke in our association at least in the 13 years I've been officiating.
Darn! I was *this* close to moving out there!
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: I feel like a failure when I give on.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Tonite, I had a game that had a supposed stud on the visiting team. I guess everyone treats him like he is a superstar, but "I am not the one" as they say.
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a player who is related to an NBA player, and who now is a star at a major DI school.

I called him for a carry on his favorite move (believe me, it's a major carry) and before he gave me the ball he said, "Don't you know who I am?"

I said, "Yeah, you're the kid who just got called for a carry and will get a technical if he doesn't close his mouth and hand me the ball." He stared for just a split second wide-eyed, but that was the last problem I ever had with him, and I had him in two more games that season.

As to the howler monkey comment posted in this thread by BktBallRef of "How many steps does he get?", I usually give them a Davism right back of "as many as he wants until he violates."
Old Sun Feb 03, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: I feel like a failure when I give on.

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Also, had a player with a rubber band on his wrist, even after I had told him to take it off in warm ups. Didn't T him up, just told him to take it off...he did and that was that.

RookieDude [/B]
Why would you even consider giving the player a T for having the rubber band on? Are you considering that a piece of jewelry? If so, there is not any rule calling for a T if a player is wearing jewelry. Just make him take it off or remove him from the game.

(BTW, I do consider a rubber band on the wrist a piece of jewelry. If they aren't born with it, they don't need to wear it, unless for medical purposes i.e. knee brace, etc.)
Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I feel like a failure when I give on.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Also, had a player with a rubber band on his wrist, even after I had told him to take it off in warm ups. Didn't T him up, just told him to take it off...he did and that was that.

RookieDude
Why would you even consider giving the player a T for having the rubber band on? Are you considering that a piece of jewelry? If so, there is not any rule calling for a T if a player is wearing jewelry. Just make him take it off or remove him from the game.

(BTW, I do consider a rubber band on the wrist a piece of jewelry. If they aren't born with it, they don't need to wear it, unless for medical purposes i.e. knee brace, etc.) [/B]
I sent a kid out of a game Friday night for this. I had already told him 2 times to take it off. Told the coach I needed a sub for the kid. Coach was PO'd at the player.