The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

ouch...talk about losing your cool...

http://waytogogenius.com/?p=30

What a way to lose...practice will definately not be fun tomorrow.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Sounds as if a crew needs to hit the books.

The PIAA does a good job of stating that the officials kicked the rule and the school does a great thing in acknowledging that their actions were totally wrong and that they need to learn from that.

For the record, a maximum of two FTs can be awarded no matter how many team members leave the bench during an altercation as long as none of them engage in the fight. If they participate, then each is penalized with 2 FTs. These FTs could be offset by whatever penalties are handed out to the opposing team if they also enter the court.

PS In NV we have a bench-clearing rule that states if three or more individuals leave the bench, then the game is over and that team forfeits. If both teams do so, then the contest is ruled a double-forfeit.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The PIAA does a good job of stating that the officials kicked the rule and the school does a great thing in acknowledging that their actions were totally wrong and that they need to learn from that.

For the record, a maximum of two FTs can be awarded no matter how many team members leave the bench during an altercation as long as none of them engage in the fight. If they participate, then each is penalized with 2 FTs. These FTs could be offset by whatever penalties are handed out to the opposing team if they also enter the court.

PS In NV we have a bench-clearing rule that states if three or more individuals leave the bench, then the game is over and that team forfeits. If both teams do so, then the contest is ruled a double-forfeit.
Howinthe hell can you possibly know that the officials actually kicked the rule? The description of the play said "the players and the assistant coach joined the fray." If they actually "joined the fray", then maybe they were "participants" and the issuing of 12 FT's was the correct call, by rule. In situations like this, I usually like to hear the official's story also. I'm kinda funny like that.

I also fail to see where the PIAA did anything, according to the story posted. All I can see is a possibly biased account given by the AD of the team that had 6 people come off the bench.

Maybe the officials actually did screw it up. It's still never a good idea to rely solely on what a fanboy AD is saying.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Yep, you are right. The story doesn't say that an official from the PIAA called and discussed the error, it says that it was the head official from the game! I blitzed through that too quickly.

"Tuesday morning, DeRenzo received a phone call from the head official of Monday’s night game, and got a clarification on the error that was made."

It still seems that the rule was kicked.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
"Tuesday morning, DeRenzo received a phone call from the head official of Monday’s night game, and got a clarification on the error that was made."
That was my point. DeRenzo is the AD and he is the one that is saying that an error was made. Could be, but suspicious ol' me learned a long time ago to get both sides of a story before forming an opinion. Imo, the jury is still out on this one.

I took a quick look at the PIAA website. It says that ejection reports have to be handed in for all regular season games, and anybody ejected- coach or player- has to sit out a minimum of one more game. Soooooo, the story said that it wasn't a league game, but was it considered a regular season game? Maybe somebody from Pa. can enlighten us. If so, the 5 players and the assistant coach should be getting a vacation.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

From the AD: "DeRenzo pointed out that three ejections and three technical fouls is the most that can be dished out on one whistle, according to his interpretation of the PIAA basketball rules."

As soon as I read this, I questioned the accuracy of the rest of the AD's claim.

As JR pointed out, if 6 people come off the bench and all participate in the melee, I have 12 free throws for the other team.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
From the AD: "DeRenzo pointed out that three ejections and three technical fouls is the most that can be dished out on one whistle, according to his interpretation of the PIAA basketball rules."

As soon as I read this, I questioned the accuracy of the rest of the AD's claim.
It's the modern-day equivalent of "three on a match."
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I took a quick look at the PIAA website. It says that ejection reports have to be handed in for all regular season games, and anybody ejected- coach or player- has to sit out a minimum of one more game. Soooooo, the story said that it wasn't a league game, but was it considered a regular season game? Maybe somebody from Pa. can enlighten us. If so, the 5 players and the assistant coach should be getting a vacation.
To my knowledge, all HS in PIAA belong to some conference or league, based on the size and geographic location of the school. League play usually begins towards the end of December with teams playing each other twice. Prior to league play are games sometimes referred to as exhibition games. These games count as regular season games, but are not part of the league standings. There are some HS out there that are not part of the PIAA for some reason or another. Most are religious schools. I also seem to remember that some HS in Philly were not part of the PIAA in certain sports.

To answer the second question: Ejected players and coaches must sit out a game at the same level and the refs have to fill out paperwork with the PIAA asap.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

As JR pointed out, if 6 people come off the bench and all participate in the melee, I have 12 free throws for the other team.
I have never heard of a max in my 11 years of officiating. I have seen the PIAA cave and not enforce the rules. A few years ago a fight broke out in the State Championship game which left 3 players from one team and 4 from the other as non participants in the fight. The refs wanted to continue like that, but the PIAA overseer at the game overruled the officials and only one player was ejected - the star player for one of the teams. What happened was A1 was given a throw-in in front of B's bench. B6 kicked his leg up between the legs of A1 during the throw-in. Fight ensued. A1 was the only player ejected and the next year we got a policy to never administer a throw-in in front of an opposing team's bench.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
I have never heard of a max in my 11 years of officiating.
The only "max" is that if the players left the confines of the bench but did not participate in the fight, then each offender is charged with a flagrant foul and disqualified, but only one technical-foul penalty is administered regardless of the number. Also an indirect to the head coach.

If any person participates in the fight, then they are charged a flagrant technical each, plus one technical for any other bench personnel that leave the bench.

Does that make sense?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hold on. What about this from the article:

Quote:
Tuesday morning, DeRenzo received a phone call from the head official of Monday’s night game, and got a clarification on the error that was made.
So you PA guys...why would an official contact an AD to 'clarify' an error? And what might that error be?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Hold on. What about this from the article:

So you PA guys...why would an official contact an AD to 'clarify' an error? And what might that error be?
The only "error" I can think of if he did in fact get a call from the head official is that they issued techs for each and every non-participant who left the bench which would be wrong per NF....I find this hard to believe that a crew of varsity officials would kick this rule as big as it is, but anything is possible...good question though, I can't ever envision contacting an AD directly, maybe my assignor would after discussing the issue with the referee on the game, but that's about it...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
The only "error" I can think of if he did in fact get a call from the head official is that they issued techs for each and every non-participant who left the bench which would be wrong per NF....I find this hard to believe that a crew of varsity officials would kick this rule as big as it is, but anything is possible....
Say what?

By rule, they were supposed to issue flagrant technical fouls to everybody that left the bench, whether they participated in the fight or not. No matter, what, the 5 players and assistant coach were ejected for those flagrant technical fouls. The difference is in the penalties for the technical fouls for participants and non-participants. For non-participants, it's a max of 2 free throws. For participants, it's 2 free throws for everybody that participates and doesn't match up with someone on the other team.

Rule 10-6PENALTY SUMMARY8(b) 1&2 on p.67.

Iow, that can't be the supposed "error".

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 11:46am.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Say what?

By rule, they were supposed to issue flagrant technical fouls to everybody that left the bench, whether they participated in the fight or not. No matter, what, the 5 players and assistant coach were ejected for those flagrant technical fouls. The difference is in the penalties for the technical fouls for participants and non-participants. For non-participants, it's a max of 2 free throws. For participants, it's 2 free throws for everybody that participates and doesn't match up with someone on the other team.

Rule 10-6PENALTY SUMMARY8(b) 1&2 on p.67.

Iow, that can't be the supposed "error".
You are correct, I meant to say that you don't SHOOT the techs for every non-participant, but you do issue the flagrant techs, sorry for the misstatement....so going back to OP, if the AD did in fact get a call from the R, if he admitted a mistake, that is the only mistake that I can think of, that they shot techs for every non-participant...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:44pm
Administrator

I knocked on wood (my head for those who want to know) before I started this post and I will knock on wood as soon as I hit the submit button when I finish this post.

1) The A.D.'s statement were self-serving and I do not believe a word he said about his conversation with the "head official" later that evening.

2) I have been watching basketball games for over 45 years and it is my belief that no bench personnel leaves the bench just to watch a fight. They leave the bench to join the fight.

3) This is my 37th year as a basketball official and only once (boys' H.S. varsity, 1983-84 season) have I had bench personnel leave the bench to join the fight which actually started when fans from both schools entered the court to start fighting with the players immediately after I had called an intentional foul on H1 (H = home team). The foul occured with only about 20 seconds (I don't remember the exact amount left in the game, I don't feel like climbing up into the attic to find my game report) left in the game so my partner, who was the R, and I decided that the best thing to do was to declare the game over.

4) Based upon Item (3), you know why I am knocking on wood agains as soon as I hit the submit button.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio