The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 30, 2003, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

My good ol 11-12's tonite, top 4 new F1/F2. Fiirst pitch fastball, F2 musta been scared, he bails and I get a straight shot to the cup, F2 immediately apologizes, "no biggie" I gasp at him. 3BC is cracking up, "hey Chris, you OK?" I sez, "I aint gonna rub it" Now I got the good laughs coming. Some guys get pissed at this, I look at it as part of the game, it may happen, but 11-12's watcha gonna expect? Perfect play is not gonna happen...
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

11/12, F2 bails. "Coach/skipper, get a catcher in here who can catch. If he bails again, I'm gonna have him removed from catching for safety's sake. His and mine."

Bob
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 05:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by chris s
My good ol 11-12's tonite, top 4 new F1/F2. Fiirst pitch fastball, F2 musta been scared, he bails and I get a straight shot to the cup, F2 immediately apologizes, "no biggie" I gasp at him. 3BC is cracking up, "hey Chris, you OK?" I sez, "I aint gonna rub it" Now I got the good laughs coming. Some guys get pissed at this, I look at it as part of the game, it may happen, but 11-12's watcha gonna expect? Perfect play is not gonna happen...
Last Thursday, and this past Thursday, while helping out two young plate umps, I casually asked if they were wearing a cup.
After getting a negative response each time, I explained about confidence, trusting our equipment, and, first, wearing our equipment.
mick
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

When I first started out umpiring 26 years ago, back in the outside (balloon) protector days, I never used to wear a cup. I just always hung my fist down in front of the "boys". Never had a problem; never got hit there.
I finally got smarter with age, and started wearing a cup everytime I was PU.
Just this past Tuesday night while calling a Sr. League (15-16) game, I took the hardest, most direct cup shot, that I've ever taken in my life. It hurt, and it took my breath away, but I don't think a soul there, except for my partner, even knew what had just happened. If not for that cup, I'd probably still be rolling around on the ground behind home plate. Certainly, the boys would probably be as big as beach balls right about now. I can tell you one thing for sure. It made an absolute believer out of me and that memory will last for the rest of my umpiring car eer.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Follett
When I first started out umpiring 26 years ago, back in the outside (balloon) protector days, I never used to wear a cup. I just always hung my fist down in front of the "boys". Never had a problem; never got hit there.
I finally got smarter with age, and started wearing a cup everytime I was PU.
Just this past Tuesday night while calling a Sr. League (15-16) game, I took the hardest, most direct cup shot, that I've ever taken in my life. It hurt, and it took my breath away, but I don't think a soul there, except for my partner, even knew what had just happened. If not for that cup, I'd probably still be rolling around on the ground behind home plate. Certainly, the boys would probably be as big as beach balls right about now. I can tell you one thing for sure. It made an absolute believer out of me and that memory will last for the rest of my umpiring car eer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~`
That reminds me...last yaer FED game, i got the sacks. PU has all the good WV stuff on. Curveball gets away from F2 and smacks him in the nads, I don't hear that familiar "cup shot" sound, he turns around and heads for the backstop, grabs the chainlink fence and howls like a stuck pig...then pukes. I offered to take dish, crazy sob got back in there, without a cup(good thing it was a blow out in the 6th!!)