View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The PIAA does a good job of stating that the officials kicked the rule and the school does a great thing in acknowledging that their actions were totally wrong and that they need to learn from that.

For the record, a maximum of two FTs can be awarded no matter how many team members leave the bench during an altercation as long as none of them engage in the fight. If they participate, then each is penalized with 2 FTs. These FTs could be offset by whatever penalties are handed out to the opposing team if they also enter the court.

PS In NV we have a bench-clearing rule that states if three or more individuals leave the bench, then the game is over and that team forfeits. If both teams do so, then the contest is ruled a double-forfeit.
Howinthe hell can you possibly know that the officials actually kicked the rule? The description of the play said "the players and the assistant coach joined the fray." If they actually "joined the fray", then maybe they were "participants" and the issuing of 12 FT's was the correct call, by rule. In situations like this, I usually like to hear the official's story also. I'm kinda funny like that.

I also fail to see where the PIAA did anything, according to the story posted. All I can see is a possibly biased account given by the AD of the team that had 6 people come off the bench.

Maybe the officials actually did screw it up. It's still never a good idea to rely solely on what a fanboy AD is saying.