The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
We know that there was a pushing foul by B1 on A1, which precipitated a fight in which 6 bench personnel from team A left the bench.
Nope, we don't know that. The rule doesn't say that there has to be a fight. It also provides for when a fight MAY break out. There could have just been a flare-up of emotions.

Quote:
While it's not clear who participated and who didn't, we know that two players at a minimum on the floor faught and should've been ejected with double flagrant Ts.
Wrong twice. There may have simply been an altercation on the floor that wasn't a fight and didn't warrant any penalties, yet stirred the tempers and emotions of those on the bench and they overreacted.

Quote:
Based on the penalty enforcement, if all 6 bench personnel participated in the fight, the HC should have been ejected as well, and it's clear he was not from the article.
A good point.

Quote:
Also, team A would've been entitled to FTs for the original foul, which it's not clear whether they were attempted.
Not true, perhaps they were not in the bonus yet.

Quote:
I agree with Mark, you don't leave the bench unless you're gonna participate in the fight.
That opinion expressed by both of you has been proven false. Evidence to the contrary occurred in the Phoenix Suns/San Antonio Spurs playoff series.

Quote:
The comments of the AD were a joke in my opinion, and I'm not talking about his rules interpretation. He expresses no remorse for the actions of his team and his coach nor has he taken any action. I coach HS baseball, and if I left the bench to participate in a fight, or even if my players did, I would be held responsible and probably lose my job the next day. No accountability, and for him to blame the officiating for mistakes is unbelievable. Take responsibility and take action at the HS level, don't blame the refs because your entire team was out of control and the coaches that you hired lacked control.
So you just skipped over these words? :
---------------
DeRenzo said. “We are not appealing the game. It’s not a league game, we did some things wrong and our team needs to learn and grow from this experience.”

DeRenzo was more concerned with the reactions of the adults in the melee, specifically an assistant coach that left the bench.

“The officials made a mistake and the kids will learn a valuable lesson, but the adults needed to do a better job of being role models for the kids,” said DeRenzo, who didn’t rule out a possible suspension of an assistant coach.
-------------------------------

Quote:
Judging by the final score, it was not a very well played game either...
What a stupid statement. A low score is NOT indicative of a poorly played game. There could have been excellent defense. Long offensive possessions while working for a quality shot attempt. The kid hit 11 of 12 FTs at the end so obviously there was skill on the floor. Could you make 11 of 12?