The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I felt weird

First for me last Friday.

Small town school. Girls Varsity game.

The announce the visiting teams' starting line-up and they run out there and stand in their line.

Then they announce the home teams' starting line-up and they each run out, come shake our hands, then go shake the hands of the visiting teams' player.

Of course, while they are doing this...we can't NOT put a hand out to shake because we would look like turds, but at the same time you have the visiting over there looking like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh great.........the hometown hero's are doing our game tonight!"

Needless to say, we were each 1.5 hours from that town so that wasn't the deal, but I can about imagine what people were thinking when they saw it.

Even though we were being good sports, it just made me feel weird with only one team doing it and that being the home team.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just so long as they don't call you "Uncle Bob" you're probably okay.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Try telling the players "No thanks, I am full."

To be serious, when this situation arises, try to re-introduce yourself to the table crew instead, or start taking your jacket off, or whatever works. With your back to the players, they might realize that you are busy and move on.

If it is something that really bothers you, bring it up in the pre-game, and discuss how the crew would prefer to handle it.

Like you said though, don't be a turd about it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
Try telling the players "No thanks, I am full."

To be serious, when this situation arises, try to re-introduce yourself to the table crew instead, or start taking your jacket off, or whatever works. With your back to the players, they might realize that you are busy and move on.

If it is something that really bothers you, bring it up in the pre-game, and discuss how the crew would prefer to handle it.

Like you said though, don't be a turd about it.
Ot take the time to go shake the hands of the other team. That shoule ease any issues.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

After being out of officiating for about 8 years, I was very surprised that during introductions the players from both teams came out during introductions, did their typical dance with team-mates while getting psyched up for the game, went to shake the opposing coach's hand, then came over and gave fist bumps to the officials. All-in-all I thought it was pretty neat, to be honest, though like I said, unexpected. This happened in a sub-varsity game but I've sat through a couple of varsity games and seen the same thing.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember correctly, there is a specific directive in NCAA that officials are not supposed to shake/bump hands for the very reason that it gives the appearance of favoritism if only one team engages in this practice.

Since Ms. Struckoff also sits on the NFHS Board, I would be inclined to say that this will soon be passed down to the HS level.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin we're not allowed to shake players' hands at intros.
In the past I have had this happen, and it caused me some consternation as well. I kept the "shake" to grasp and a soft "good luck". I tried to show the other team it wasn't my idea, nor was it welcome.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:01pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
If I remember correctly, there is a specific directive in NCAA that officials are not supposed to shake/bump hands for the very reason that it gives the appearance of favoritism if only one team engages in this practice.
I've not heard of this directive. Do you have a reference that I could look at?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
In Wisconsin we're not allowed to shake players' hands at intros.
In the past I have had this happen, and it caused me some consternation as well. I kept the "shake" to grasp and a soft "good luck". I tried to show the other team it wasn't my idea, nor was it welcome.
This to me seems a little silly...it is obvious that you aren't going out looking for anybody's hands to shake...it is right out in the open, who the heck cares?!?!? I can't imagine the other team would care less - if they did their coach could always start doing the same thing the next game! File this under things that officials worry about (with good reason or not) that we have no business worrying about! Fits right in there somewhere around 3.5...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
Needless to say, we were each 1.5 hours from that town so that wasn't the deal, but I can about imagine what people were thinking when they saw it.

Even though we were being good sports, it just made me feel weird with only one team doing it and that being the home team.
Personally, I feel weirder when the winning team comes over AFTER the game and shakes the refs hands. I HATE THAT!!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Simple courtesy never hurts anyone. If they come over to shake hands then shake their hand, if it's a fist bump then do it and get on with the game. It shouldn't be a big deal. About half the teams around here do one or the other.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

My only real issue with the handshake thing is that heaven only knows where these little germ magnets hands have been. I prefer a fist bump if I can get away with it.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
My only real issue with the handshake thing is that heaven only knows where these little germ magnets hands have been. I prefer a fist bump if I can get away with it.
Wow. you're right there! I never thought about it, until my little guy went onto some serious immuno-suppression as a treatment for his kidney disease. Doctors warned us not to shake hands lest we bring something home. Fists it was, from then on!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:31am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I've not heard of this directive. Do you have a reference that I could look at?
It's in the current Women's Officials' Manual - I believe somewhere in the "pre-game" section.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
After being out of officiating for about 8 years, I was very surprised that during introductions the players from both teams came out during introductions, did their typical dance with team-mates while getting psyched up for the game, went to shake the opposing coach's hand, then came over and gave fist bumps to the officials. All-in-all I thought it was pretty neat, to be honest, though like I said, unexpected. This happened in a sub-varsity game but I've sat through a couple of varsity games and seen the same thing.
That is exactly what happens in ALL of our games around here at the Varsity level. It started a few years ago and has become the norm.