Thread: How to watch
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
I'm having problems and maybe you can help me. When I'm in Lead I have trouble watching, when the ball is in my area, the A player, the B player, any activity between the 2 when a shoot goes up by A, and A's feet, in does he travel or not. When I watch for contact between A & B I've had coaches yell that A is traveling. If I watch the feet I miss the contact.

How do you guys do it? My thinking is I may be too close to the end-line and need to back off to get a broader view. What are your thoughts?
DING DING DING, widen out, get off the endline and you will see more of the play....officiate the defense first, you will get to the point that the travelling call will become second nature to you if it happens without having to stop and stare and go "ok there is his pivot, ok he lifted it, ok there is the shot no travel"....it all sort of flows together after a while...but definitely get wider and watch the play develop..and there is nothing that says you have to have a whistle IMMEDIATELY, let the play happen, let it process in your brain what you just saw (the time to do this gets considerably shorter over time), THEN blow the whistle and make your call...better to make a correct call late than a bad call right on time...