Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 07:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I am a Mortgage Company branch manager.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I work for Harris Corporation and develop graphics systems for the broadcast industry.

It is Harris that you see at the beginning of every tournament game.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I work for Harris Corporation and develop graphics systems for the broadcast industry.

It is Harris that you see at the beginning of every tournament game.
I thought that was Diebler.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
I thought that was Diebler.
I think Harris is John's middle name.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Engineer...specialize in reliability, process optimization and energy efficiency.

I thought you had a TV SHow sponsored by Binford tools?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

The name tells it all. United Methodist, to be more specific.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

not that I'll ever make it to that level, but if I did earn a regular college schedule it would be a very hard juggle with work. I'm a federal employee who works a regular 8-5. And just by cooincidence my boss's boss used to officiate and gave it up for his federal career. He was no longer officiating by the time I met him but he was doing state play-off games and was a top-5 camper at the ACC camp back in the mid-90's. But he gave up officiating cold turkey and has no regrets.

But just as difficult would be coordinating the schedule I have with my kids. I have a teen-ager who lives with me full-time except for every other weekend and I have 9-year old who is with my 6 out of every 14 days.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Another computer geek here.

I work a 4X10 schedule and I telecommute one day so I only go into work 3 days per week. I can flex my schedule to start as early as I want (and therefore leave as early as I want) on the days that I do go in to the office.

I am lucky because my manager is a dream to work for and knows how much I love to ref. I work a little extra during the summer months and I get lots of leeway between November and March.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Come on guys, Padgett has been retired for a long time now, but back in his younger days he served as a trail guide in the Pacific Northwest.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Housewife here. It may sound like it would be easy to juggle the schedule, but it's been surprising how troublesome it can be, especially with little kids.

At the point where I might have started into the college routine, my youngest was very ill, in and out of the hospital, and I knew for sure I couldn't commit to the kind of availability a college (even JUCO) assignor would want. That was a very difficult decision for me to make, but I haven't been sorry. Kid definitely more important than long drives in the rain and snow to earn $100 bucks getting shrieked at, and the the long drive home. I didn't know if I was good enough to move much above that, and just wasn't willing to risk my family relationships.

I was right to make that decision, kid needed lots and lots of attention for a couple or three years. He's doing better now, since we have finally found a drug that has stabilized his condition without a lot of bad side effects. But we still never know when the effectiveness of the drug will wear off, and we'll be back to swelling, drug reactions, vomiting and dashes to the emergency room.

I will never be able to do college, which in some ways is a good excuse, since I really wasn't sure they'd ever want me!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Medical student (decided to finally come out and admit it). There's a reason I won't be doing much reffing over the next few years.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I'm a high school senior...I must say I have the best "job"(if officiating is considered a job) out of any of my friends...most of them work at McDonalds for 8 bucks an hour...I can go work a HS game or a couple of middle school or rec games in two or three hours and make twice what they make in an entire evening or two at their jobs...You can't beat it
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
I started officiating MS and HS basketball as a High School senior too! I was on the court 6 of 7 days of the week, the whole season, and did 150+ basketball games! I did Rec ball on the weekends, and MS and HS during the Week! now I am a part time employee @ The Home(o) Depot, and a full time college student.
Im pretty disappointed though, because in like 34 days, I will be transferring schools, and will not be able to ref at all next half, because I will be playing baseball. I gave up one love, for another!
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

I felt weird.

Sorry........posted this inside the thread instead of making a new post.

I am a business owner. In fact, I own two businesses. This allows me to do a doubleheader at noon and a doubleheader at night during softball season. It also allows me to do 5-6 nights a week of basketball.

Last edited by mrmotivation; Tue Dec 04, 2007 at 03:07pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmotivation
First for me last Friday.

Small town school. Girls Varsity game.

The announce the visiting teams' starting line-up and they run out there and stand in their line.

Then they announce the home teams' starting line-up and they each run out, come shake our hands, then go shake the hands of the visiting teams' player.

Of course, while they are doing this...we can't NOT put a hand out to shake because we would look like turds, but at the same time you have the visiting over there looking like, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh great.........the hometown hero's are doing our game tonight!"

Needless to say, we were each 1.5 hours from that town so that wasn't the deal, but I can about imagine what people were thinking when they saw it.

Even though we were being good sports, it just made me feel weird with only one team doing it and that being the home team.
Don't worry about that....there are enough teams that do it on a regular basis that the team that chose not to do so will not even consider it an issue...they probably see just as many visiting teams do it when they're come to their own gym.