The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

What is your daytime job?

As I keep moving up the ladder, I'm finding it harder to find a job that offers great pay, benefits, etc and will let me off all the days/nights I need for officiating. (This is mostly pertaining to college ball, not really high school.) I have a few friends who do D1 and some of them are teachers, insurance salesmen, or they own their own business. (And 1 of them just refs full time.)

So what is it that you do that allows you to get to games that are a few hours, perhaps even states, away?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't do college ball (yet, hopefully), but I run my own business as a strategic consultant and management trainer. Best of every world for me - I'm doing something I love for a "real job" and I have the flexibility to be off whenever I want as long as I take care of my clients.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Not sure, but I think Padgett is President of the United States.

(if not, he oughta be)

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Well, I don't do college ball (yet, hopefully), but I run my own business as a strategic consultant and management trainer. Best of every world for me - I'm doing something I love for a "real job" and I have the flexibility to be off whenever I want as long as I take care of my clients.

What exactly is that?

How'd you get started?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm an attorney. If you run your own business, it makes it easier to be available. Lots of teachers working the highest levels. You just have to have supportive managers if you work for a company and want to have time to officiate. Think about how many marriages/families suffer. All assignors will tell you that officiating is a personal sacrifice. You need to make those decisions for yourself.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTripleJump
What exactly is that?

How'd you get started?
My wife would like to know the answer, too. Basically I'm a free-lancer for smaller businesses that want to do professional development and strategic planning for their own business, but don't necessarily have the expertise internally. I work mainly with businesses with 50-500 employees.

I do a lot of training - communication, conflict resolution, leadership, teamwork, sales, customer service, etc. Also do strategic planning and organizational assessment.

There are a number of options out there for getting into the business. I am affiliated with a company that supplies my curriculum for training classes and have a friend who started this business years ago who is a partner and mentor.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Not sure, but I think Padgett is President of the United States.

(if not, he oughta be)
Sorry - couldn't take the pay cut. Plus - there's not enough notoriety.

Actually, I'm the captain of the US Olympic Sarcasm Team. It doesn't pay much but I get to insult the French a lot. Not that it's difficult.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a computer nerd

I wrote custom software for Lotus Note and Domino. I work out of the house or at some clients location. Been doing it for 12 yrs, so I can pick and choose my hours. My schedulers say its a dream for them.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I am a IT Project Manager for a large healthcare insurance company. We have some degree of flexibility here in that we can come in at 7 and leave at 3:30 or we can do 8 - 4 and stuff like that. Some of the people I work with do 6:30 to 2:30.

What I usually do is work out with my assignor what physical locations I can get to for a 5:30 start if I leave work at 4:00 (most JV in our area start at 5:30) Most V contests are at 7:00 and I can be anywhere in our coverage area in plenty of time for those, even if I leave work late.

While not the greatest availability, I do manage to average about 25 - 30 board assigned games a year. CT is an IAABO state so our board only has a small part of the state to cover (Litchfield cty). And we have a lot of prep schools that play Saturdays.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a day job.

I work the overnight shift as a 911 Dispatcher for the county.

Not the most glamorous job, but working 11p-7a usually doesn't give me much problems with working games.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Doesn't matter what my day job is...but everytime I go to a tryout camp the director tells me I shouldn't quit it.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
IT Manager

I am an IT Manager. I work in an attorneys office, so I can pretty much come and go as I please. I dont abuse it, but I make sure my work is done. I am not on the College Level yet, but hoping to be there by next year.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am a pastor, which gives me tremendous flexibility. My church people are very supportive and understanding of this avenue for supplemental income.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Engineer...specialize in reliability, process optimization and energy efficiency.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Ref63
I am a pastor, which gives me tremendous flexibility. My church people are very supportive and understanding of this avenue for supplemental income.
I'm a youth pastor...which gives me a lot of flexability. I know students and most of the high schools I officiate in...it is useful for me to get to know the administrators of schools. I just hope I do a good job so it's not a BAD impression! My church people are also very supportive.