The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Let's talk about floor positioning on the fastbreak...

Would like some feedback on this from you guys....I'm trying to work on getting better position on quick steals that have me switching from T to new L..

2 person crew...At T, a steal occurs above the 3 point line causing a fastbreak to the other end...You are now the new L going the other way...

The play is off and running ahead by a few steps or completely out of your range to reel them in and stay ahead of the play as if it were a HC set. So do you...

A) Trail it and view from a vantage point that would be that of a C postion on 3-person crew

B) If it's within your range to catch them (I'm pretty quick), do you blast the afterburning to beat them down court or be there at the same time and risk possibly getting straight-lined which is happening to me more often because I am hustling to get back there...

With the bulk of the games I do, I can often out run the 5-6 grade age and get back ...but the older kids are FAST! I'm finding that I'm not always in the best angle on this particular play sometimes (especially if they are breaking down my side of the court...I'm too close to the play)...I am wanting to take up the position of the C as in "A" above to give me a better wide view...I am just wondering what the best angle of attack might be to keep me in good view of the play and hanging back seems to be giving me a better view?

I've been praised for my hustle (but I see other guys not hustling at all IMO but perhaps it's because they are getting a better angle by lagging behind?) but I just think this is an area I can improve on....

Thoughts and I appreciate the input....

Last edited by Coltdoggs; Tue Dec 04, 2007 at 05:53pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Would like some feedback on this from you guys....I'm trying to work on getting better position on quick steals that have me switching from T to new L..

2 person crew...At T, a steal occurs above the 3 point line causing a fastbreak to the other end...You are now the new L going the other way...

The play is off and running ahead by a few steps or completely out of your range to reel them in and stay ahead of the play as if it were a HC set. So do you...

A) Trail it and view from a vantage point that would be that of a C postion on 3-person crew

B) If it's within your range to catch them (I'm pretty quick), do you blast it to beat them down court and be at the same time or ahead of the play and risk possibly getting straight-lined...

With the bulk of the games I do, I can often out run the JRHS age and get back ...but the older kids are FAST! I'm finding that I'm not always in the best angle on this particular play sometimes (especially if they are breaking down my side of the court)...I am wanting to take up the position of the C as in "A" above to give me a better wide view...I am just wondering what the best angle of attack might be to keep me in good view of the play and hanging back seems to be giving me a better view?

Thoughts and I appreciate the input....
Nothing wrong w/ hanging back and getting a good angle..much better option than busting it and not getting a good look b/c of a) you are straightlined and/or b) even if you do beat it you are running so hard you can't keep your head still to get a clear look at the play...shouldn't be happening a ton, but I do it probably at least once/game...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

You aren't going to ever get in front of the break, so fuggedaboutthat. Even if you did get in front, you couldn't possibly get deep in time to get over far enough along the endline to see who initiates any contact. You don't want to be beside the play either because you'll be straight-lined. Sooooooo.....loop out in back of the break, but far enough out of the play so that you're not gonna be interfering with a trailer, and try to take an angle that will let you see the separation between the offensive and defensive players. You want to see the paths that both are taking, and whether one of the players goes out of their straight-line path to initiate contact. You should be able to get a fair look at any contact on the shot. You also want to stay far enough away so that you can maintain a wide enough field of vision that will allow you to pick up a second breaker joining the play, and a possible pass to that breaker. This should also allow you to stay with the original breaker after the pass to see if there's a pass'n'crash while also tracking the pass.

Prayer helps too.

You'll never get into the best position. Just try to get into the best position possible.

JMVHO.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Depends on your position and the ball

If the ball is opposite you in your primary as trail, you should be out on the court pretty far. If a turnover occurs, you can usually beat it down court and see the entire play. If you can't get there, you can use your "C" position to get the best angle.

If the ball if more on your side, you should be close to the sideline. Then, you need to trail the play, again similar to a "C".

I'm like you. I can beat most any of them down the court. But, I have to remember that my main job is to referee the play and get the best angle to do that.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You aren't going to ever get in front of the break, so fuggedaboutthat. Even if you did get in front, you couldn't possibly get deep in time to get over far enough along the endline to see who initiates any contact.
Speak for yourself; some of us have wheels (just joking).

JR is right; you will get beat and get beat often. Just hustle to get the best angle and make a call from there. This is an art to know how fast you need to run and when to take your time. It is about angles more than hustle in this situation.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I havn't done highschool level yet so taking that into account..

this is the only thing that I have been told I do well.

As soon and I recognize the steal I'm breaking...but when I get to the free throw line.. my goal is angle at that point. Basically I have about 5 strides to get back and then its all about best posistion at that point.

When I did the special olypic game... they were grown men.. and fast. I was able to get good pos on the breaks though using this method.

ps.. i'm not all that fast so... 5.3 40 is sloooooow. But the first few steps are crucial.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I believe that the more you can be in front of the play and have it come to you, the better off you are.

You will get beat on some fast breaks, but I am not stopping at FT line or staying in C to call the play. You can't get straightlined but if we call a foul while stopped at FT line, I think we look lazy, slow, and out of position...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

At some point in the play, you will be straighlined no matter where you are. You need to read the play and try to figure out how the defender will try to stop it and be in position to see that part of the play. It doesn't always work, but it's better than following a rote "on a fast break, go to position X".
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
I believe that the more you can be in front of the play and have it come to you, the better off you are.

You will get beat on some fast breaks, but I am not stopping at FT line or staying in C to call the play. You can't get straightlined but if we call a foul while stopped at FT line, I think we look lazy, slow, and out of position...
NO NO NO.. dont stop at the free throw line...

By the time you get to the free throw line, you need to be determining where your best angle while moving.. that is what I'm saying.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

In two person, this is when the new trail has to bust it, especially if the play is coming down the far lane line from the new lead. All the new lead will see is the backside of the defender, but if the Trail is hustling, he/she has a much better angle to see in between the defender and the dribbler.

The key is hustle.

Please don't make this call from the back court. You'll never sell it.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Please don't make this call from the back court. You'll never sell it.
Amen to this, and I did exactly it last night. Two-man game (hopefully the last one of the year) and the court was stretched pretty good with some backcourt pressure and players already posting in the front-court. Steal in the backcourt leads to two-on-one transition, and as I'm busting up, while trying to keep some idea what's happening with the players all over the court, I clearly see a foul that my partner was straight-lined on, exactly as has been talked about here.

Instinctively I blow it, and there I am at about the 28' line in the backcourt, thinking "this has to look like total crap."

One of the few calls you know you get right and feel bad about all at the same time...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

The ideal position would be to be in front of the play and have it come to you. Unfortuanately we all know this is not always possible. When you are not able to get in that ideal position get the best angle possible to get the call right. Sometimes it means trailing the play and stepping onto the court. Not ideal but will allow you to see the play better than trying to show you are speedy but blowing the call. Use your best judgement.

Last edited by armymanjones; Wed Dec 05, 2007 at 11:16am.